Page 22 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Selena on the Way to Wonderland *SH TRIGGERS*

Your photos are amazing!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

selena (09-06-19)

Mira
    I am not on facebook. But I am so curious how your trip was. Your thread is called on your way to wonderland. Was it wonderland?

Want to share with us how it was?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mira For This Useful Post:

selena (11-06-19)

Et je m'envole, vole, vole, vole, vole, vole. Que d'espérance.
    Mira, it was a safe and successful trip. Actually more amazing experience than I expected it to be in such a short period.

Sure, I'm going to put down here my impressions in a more concise way, a kind of report.

For pics, I posted some on my instagram link too (above).

Mira
    That does sound lovely Selena. And it gives me a smile. In all honousty I do not know anybody who deserved this more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mira For This Useful Post:

selena (11-06-19)

Mira
    Just saw the pictures. Lovely typical English weather

But awesome. And I remember you talking about clothing before your trip. But from those pictures I can, say you dressed great.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mira For This Useful Post:

selena (11-06-19)

My Impressions on London Visit

Arrival.
    So I’ve got in time to the airport and was perfectly on time to my flight. The only inconvenience was passing through a zone of turbulence, because I got a bad headache until the end of that day. Otherwise, it was nice to see the images from the plane height of crossing the ocean and getting to the island.
    The plane took off a bit late. It was not too difficult to pass through the Luton Airport. I headed to the bus station, but there was a little bit messy there – many people expecting to take the bus. But it was anyway quickly sorted out and I got on the bus and got off at the Marble Arch (as I remembered being the closest to my hotel).
    It was a perfectly nice sunny day (although colder than in my location). I got to the station and bought the oyster card, having been accurately explained everything. I asked for directions as no Wi Fi nearby to have access to google maps, people told me that I have to walk a lot. But I enjoyed this experience. I finally reached St.Mary’s Hospital in Paddington area and then my hotel. Sincerely, the hotel’s room proved to be better in comparison with the reviews I had read prior to my visit. For me, it was very important to have my private space, I could not have imagined being in a shared room, even with a shared bathroom, it would have been really hard for me.
    A dwd member from London came in the evening to meet me and having prepared an adapter for my phone, it was unexpected but nice. It was a very nice and emotional meeting. I had scheduled some activities for that day, but unfortunately my head was exploding and I had to take some painkillers. More remarks: the salads from Tesco are healthier than those in my country’s big food stores and strawberries especially delicious.
    I was so excited and happy that barely closed an eye that night. The only minus was the tube sounds even at night, but I adjusted to it.
    The Day Two.
    I got up rather early, still adjusted to my local time. It was colder and started to rain. I had just one full day before me so I knew that I should get to as many places as I could. Firstly, I headed to the Tower Bridge on the bus and managed to took some photos. I got back on the bus and took a cup of coffee, then headed again to the center – this time into the direction of Hyde Park Corner. In this way, reached Buckingham Palace. There had been enough tourists in spite of the rain. I had some nice time around, having walked a little in the park. I asked for Westminster Abbey direction to a local girl, she walked with me nearly up to the location. She asked me where I am from and my visit details, being very nice. Even more tourists gathered at the Westminster Abbey, it was a long queue, and I managed only to have a look from the outside. On my way back, I wanted to visit Westminster Cathedral too, but bumped only into tourists who confused the Abbey and the Cathedral. Then I noticed from my bus’s window the Cathedral and got off. They allow to take pictures. A nice French woman took some photos of mine.
    In the evening, I and Rose went to an Italian restaurant not far from my place, her invitation knowing my preference for Italian food. My feet hurt because I have flat feet and should have won both flat shoes and high heels, but no way to combine them.
    Each London coin seems to be a piece of History, needed to be separately explored, but for this time was not possible to explore all scheduled places, as A Little Venice which was definitely on my list, without mentioning the museums etc. So that was a big minus of planning nearly in the last minute, not enough time.
    The last day
    The next day I headed to Victoria Coach Station to get in time to the airport.
    A local old man explained me the direction, he had an interesting accent, “bus” being pronounced just like it’s written “bus”.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to selena For This Useful Post:

OldMike (14-06-19)

It was Saturday and only later I found out that it was the Queen’s birthday that very day, I noticed Royal Guards on horses from a small window. On the way to the airport, a man got off having realized that he had forgotten his passport at home…
    General Remarks
    - I really liked the UK weather!!! In my place the Sun burns my skin at once (even my mom noticed I returned paler) and in Latvia it’s too cold.
    - The tube – some Londoners suggested it, but I hesitated. Well, going sightseeing is better from the bus anyway. Maybe I will find courage the next time.
    - The architecture and city buildings are really original, a combination of modernism and old style.
    - The ambiance is free and warm. People are free, it is a melting pot and at the same time sharing similar values. Rather interesting interactions otherwise. The society I think is free of many prejudices and less conservative (generalizing maybe, but in comparison with my country and Latvia).
    - I felt as a human being and a woman at the same time. The men have more respect towards the women than in my country, not crossing the personal space, less harassment I guess. I felt free me being me and not psychologically trapped.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to selena For This Useful Post:

OldMike (14-06-19)

That's so positive! So glad you loved London as much as I do!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

selena (14-06-19)

I felt free me being me
    I LOVE that you felt that way!
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

selena (14-06-19)

At the end of my holiday, having analyzed all the aspects of my visit and maybe some of cultural differences, I must admit (although I hate it) that the society I'm living in is still guided by certain stigmas and prejudices.
    There are different barriers even on the religious level (although people are not mostly very practicing). For example, living in a partnership without official marriage stamp gives the priest the right to refuse giving Eucharist to that person.