Thread: Spiteful sibling causing low mood *TRIGGERS*

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spiteful sibling causing low mood *TRIGGERS*

Hi everyone,

I have a long history of varying degrees of depression and a long term difficult relationship with my older sister. I am the youngest of 3 and she is the youngest sister.

Basically the upshot is that she often says spiteful barbs to me, completely unsolicited and uncalled for. I'm not sure how to handle it. In the past I have not had face to face contact with her for months then finally reconciled with her. I have indicated to her my dislike of certain areas of criticism. I believe she is pretty unhappy and insecure and lashes out as a kind of schadenfreude to make herself feel better.

I am in depression recovery, volunteer and do odd jobs for some income. Her criticisms are usually around money. I supposed to take my nephew to a football match next week, and she says to me I'm not a responsible adult because I don't have a mortgage or a regular job.

This may not sound like much but when one has a history of depression and being of a sensitive personality, I find it pretty upsetting and it has caused a dip in mood and some anxiety. It undermines my self esteem and I find it very spiteful. I wish I wasn't so sensitive but I am. I consider it emotional abuse.

I don't really no how to deal with it. Any comments? Thanks. Feeling low tonight..

Matt
    Last edited by Jaquaia; 12-02-19 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Trigger warning added due to reply on thread