Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: False Emotion Disorder **STRONG AB/SU Triggers**

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Part of the stigma of depression is dismissing something as not real, not important. In your second post you clearly say that real depression is due to loss and tragedy. You seem to be saying that everything else is false, untrue, down to how our face interprets our facial expressions. For someone already struggling to reach out and ask for help, that attitude could have a hugely detrimental effect. We've dealt with lots of people on here who haven't reached out for proper help because of similar attitudes. As I said, with certain things you need to be careful about the language to use. Phrasing things a certain way can have a negative impact on a person and cause more harm than good.There is a very visible campaign in the UK to teach people that depression is an actual, real illness with real symptoms caused by real issues, both internal and external.

Also, no one is being defensive, they have countered your theory with scientific evidence. It's how progress in medicine and science works. Accepted theories and treatment change with the presentation of new evidence. You've provided none to support your theory. You're surprised that no one accepts your theory when you've provided no evidence to support your theory. In contrast, there are thousands of studies supporting the treatments already in place. That knowledge has been gained by qualified scientists and doctors doing thousands of hours of research, experiments and clinical trials, which have then been corroborated by their peers, often by replicating their experiments. Very few people are going to automatically believe a theory that has no evidence other than anecdotal in the face of all that scientific evidence based on thousands of hours of research and study.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Ken Willidau
    Suzi. Sorry. I didn't know about links.

Ken Willidau
    I am going to refer to it now as physical depression and mental depression.

And, you haven't countered my theory with scientific evidence. You've only told me that science exists.

And, in some ways I do have science on my side. I just did some searches on Forward Head Posture and Ergonomics and the link to depression/stress/anxiety and there's lots of people studying that and saying it's one of the causes. Maybe I've figured out why. I'm going to send it to people working on those studies and see what they think.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Depression is mental, it's classified as a mental illness, not a physical illness, it just can have physical causes and symptoms. Not really a better classification than real/false depression.

I clearly referred to scientific studies, I can provide links if you'd like, extremely easily. I'm not sure how easily available they will be as they tend to be in academic/professional journals which require subscription, so it's possible you would only be able to read the abstract. I can access the vast majority through my university. If that isn't using scientific evidence then I don't know what is. And that comment itself tells me that there's no point even debating this with you.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Ken Willidau
    Apparently, I'm not exactly breaking new ground here, myself. I'm just adding a twist to it. Mine is a physical illness that causes mental issues. And if you can find a study that debunks my theory, I'd be happy to read it.

Here's just a few of the blurbs on a search of 'forward head posture depression':

The truth is, almost every single doctor who has created alternative treatment continues to ignore the real cause of depression: forward head posture.

Forward head posture is bad on the body because each time we get ... It leads to depression, anxiety, stress and all other negative terms that ...

The next time you're feeling sad and depressed, pay close attention to your posture. According to cognitive scientists, you'll likely be slumped over with your neck and shoulders curved forward and head looking down.

I’m sad and depressed but I’m certainly not ‘slumped over with my head and shoulders curved forward and my head looking down’.
    I’m walking the dog and trying to get on with my day.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allalone For This Useful Post:

Paula (10-02-19),Suzi (10-02-19)

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Ken I don't have bad posture and also don't slump but I have depression or are you saying that mine is not real?

There are a multitude of reasons for depression and sometimes none that can be found but to expect people to just believe your theory without backing it up can be harmful to others. You also seem to think that your theory is the only reason, have you ever thought looking at a previous post you have that the reason may be down to some of the things that you have been through ?
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

I'm looking at my husband who is sitting upright with his head upright. He is looking forward. He is still depressed and has been dealing with his mental health since he was a child..... he's now 43....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Allalone (10-02-19)

Ken Willidau
    Allalone,

No, I'm saying others think that physical exertion to the body can lead to depression and that's just one way one person thinks you could be feeling depressed. And from what I originally wrote, if it has accumulated in your body, over time, whatever you're doing, now, isn't going to matter and you could be being affected by it without realizing it. Right now, I am chronically depressed, and I believe it would take 3 months of me doing next to nothing to get rid of it.

Angie,

I don't think I have ever said that my theory is the only reason. And only that it is a possibility that this could be causing it for you. I believe it causes it for me. And I think the blurbs about forward head posture is at least some back up from the science community that some believe that there is a physical connection to depression. And, regardless if it is physical or mental depression, it's still depression. It's how you got there that's different. And, in fact, I would say that physical depression is actually worse than mental depression because there is no obvious reason for it. I once wrote 'I wish something was really wrong, right now, so everything else wasn't.' and that's because it just starts throwing everything at you, trying to fix it mentally but it's not going to work.

I have worse posture than my husband - I also have significant spinal issues other physical disabilities - and apart from PND which was caused by hormones and traumas of birth I don't have a diagnosed mental health issue....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!