Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Mira's adventures **trigger warnings**

Mira
    Thanks all, you are all to kind.

Even with the language I struggle a lot. When I speak English and German there is a dutch accent. That is enough for so many occiasions to not speak at all. And I have gotten over the fact that I write so many mistakes into my sentences. Not to mention the spelling mistakes. If i would focus on it I would not write or speak another language ever again.

Magie I think its awesome that eventhough your Irish is not so good you did bring it over to Aisling. When I was young my step dad did not allow us to speak German. So I had to learn while I was older. That does make a difference. And she might embrace it later on. I know I have.

Jaquaia, I would love that. But at the moment I think I am to fragile for it. Seeing how I did on that course for work. I still did not get any results on how I did. I worry constantly. I did always tell myself that I would have to have done these things before 40. But thats almost here. I know age does not matter anymore. But for me it does somehow.

I just went to the shops and almost got hit by a car. Not my fault but still scary. So when I got to the shops all my ideas for healthy eating went out the door. I got cookies and crisps and ice cream. I ate all of it and the rest is known

If things like that are already going this way its time to go on the couch and hide....

Just because the day has started out less than ideal (and please believe me when I say that I’d also have gone for the cookies and ice creams if I’d had a scare like that!) does not mean that the day has to continue that way. You do not have to head for the couch and hide. You don’t have to push yourself too far - perhaps you could read a book that you particularly love? That soothes your soul?

Now, your languages. So you speak english and German with a Dutch accent? That’s not a surprise as that’s where you’ve lived all your life. Almost everybody who speaks another language speaks that language with the accent from where they’ve been brought up, that’s normal. And you rarely make written mistakes here - tbh I probably make more mistakes than you do.

You’ve listed so many things here you do or would love to do. Actually, there’s so many things on that list that it’s no wonder your brain is whirring. Could you just focus on one or two of those hobbies to do a little of? I know you say you’re too fragile right now but it may be that focussing on that one thing, and doing it well, may help you deal with that fragility.

Oh, and ftr, I tried to learn calligraphy - it’s really hard and I couldn’t do it. I’m in awe of anyone who can do it.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    I started my Creative Writing degree with a woman in her 70's!

Oh and my brother in law is Portuguese. He's lived in England a little over 10 years and still speaks with a heavy portuguese accent. It's still understandable. I can barely speak French and I studied that up to A-level, so 18.

Oh and for the record, spelling and grammar mistakes are something that can really irritate me, and you make fewer mistakes than a lot of native speakers!!!

I hope you manage to be even a little kind to yourself
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Mira
    Now you all are trying to get me to cry.

I am feeling sick at the moment from eating way to much. 2 whole Ben and Jerry tubs and way more. So I think I need to take it easy for a while. I am trying to be kind to myself and at least try to not sh any more today. Thanks for being so kind to me.

For the moment I think its not a good idea to try any of them Paula. Since most of the time it gets used in my mind to point out how bad I am. Bad at the thing I am doing and bad as a person. So for a while I am going to watch a movie. But later on I am going to read. That did not cross my mind but I am half way through the first Ken Follett book Fall of Giants. So far that is a wonderful book.

Is that really true Jaqauia? I am sure that I make a whole lot of mistakes. Maybe I should pay more attention to it. Its making me a bit anxious now.

Ever since I was a young boy I loved how English sounds. We only heard the BBC English over here. But it had a great sound to me. So as long as I can remember I wanted to learn it. When talking about cars I don't say trunk but boot. Sadly though now its a huge mix that I speak. I did even think of taking lessons just to get the accent right. But which accent to pick? So many great ones. And because I am always worried what people think maybe learning the BBC English is not a good one at all.

I am rambling. My head still hurts from earlier.

The important thing to say is thanks all. I love all of you.

Definitely true. You make far fewer mistakes than a lot of native speakers so your grasp of the English language is not something that needs to concern you. My sister used the wrong their/there/they're twice in the same sentence this morning and it actually made me cringe! English is her first language yet I've never seen you do that. English is an incredibly difficult language to learn as there are so many grammar rules, words that look similar are pronounced completely differently and so on. I think the fact that you can converse so clearly in a language that is not your own is amazing! If I am talking to someone who speaks English as a second language, I often have to simplify how I speak so they understand. I have never felt the need to do that with you. And as for you having a dutch accent, so what? You're dutch! Accents are different all over the UK anyway!

Ireland is only a very small country and the range of accents is huge. I love the sound and musical sounds of different accents.
    Today has started not very well, but that was an hour at most. There are 23 more hours today, try to be kind to yourself for at least one of them. Take a soak in a bath for a while, maybe try a walk up and down your street, read all the nice things that the people here think of you. You're doing great. Try to believe us.

I completely agree! You make far fewer mistakes than I do and I'm a qualified teacher...

Accents are so interesting. Where I grew up I had a strong Hampshirian accent, then I went to a private school so developed Queens English accent, then moved to London and had a boyfriend who was from Manchester so got a bit of his accent too! My accent changes as to who I'm talking to!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I have a really broad Hull accent and can't always order coke outside of Hull as I'm not understood! I enunciate clearer when I talk to J. He sounds completely different to me and only lives around 12 miles outside of Hull. I always remember my 2nd year fieldtrip to Italy with Uni. They split us into groups and we had to give a presentation on a topic while in Italy. One girl talked so quickly and in such a broad Hull accent that the only people who understood her were those of us from Hull

Mira
    I can not think of an accent that I don't like. I remember while working on a ship when I was 18 I was in Cork once. And then to Liverpool. Hahaha here I was with the English I was being taught in school. Everybody understood me and I did not understand anything. I think that started my facination with accents. Now that I have been to the UK a number of times now it sounds so good and I tend to blend in real fast.

I remember the first time I was invited for tea and it was food, not to drink tea.

Where I live is an Island too. A small one that used to do a lot of trading with the Britisch centuries ago. But we still have a few words in our dialect that sound more English then Dutch. And I do not have to travel far to have people not know what I am saying. The only shame is that its not encouraged anymore to speak our dialect. The children are not allowed to speak it in school. So its fading fast.

I just saw a youtube video on the Hull accent. I like how they don't say the H in Hull

How has the rest of the day been so far? Any improvement?