Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depression Anxiety and Fatigue

RidleyRumpus

Depression Anxiety and Fatigue

I have been depressed for some years (7+) and have been on various medications.

One of my main problems is fatigue, as soon as I get home from work I just sleep, frequently to the next morning. This would be a problem under any circumstances but I teach so I am expected to work in the evenings.

Recently following some problems at work, see above, I have become more depressed and anxious inc panic/anxiety attacks etc and my Dr upped my Duloxetine to 90mg. Now I have the opposite problem in that I cannot sleep through the night and just lie there until exhaustion takes over and then I only sleep for a couple of hours. Then I get up cannot bring myself to do anything and eventually have another 2 hour snooze.

My house is a tip, I havent seen any friends in months. Anything that I used to do for pleasure has in effect gone, I still want to do them but I just cannot find the energy or motivation everything just seems so overwhelming. Even if I do start to do something pleasurable I feel guilty that I should be tidying the house.

I am now afraid that I will lose my job esp as this is not the first Anxiety and Depression absence.

Hi and welcome . How long has it been since your last dose increase? It always takes a bit of time for any change to take affect but if you’re not feeling any better, please go back to your doctor - especially as it’s affecting your work.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

RidleyRumpus
    It has been 6 weeks or so since the increase.

I have to be honest I think that it is work that is making things worse as they have not implemented the RA's recommended by OH which has made coping impossible and they have now put me on a "support" programme (Capability - ie start of process to dismiss)

Hey and welcome to DWD.
    You have my every sympathy. I used to teach until my husband had a breakdown and I had to quit to look after him, then my own health decreased massively. Now I'm dealing with teachers as a parent and I am shocked and disgusted by the hours they are meant to work. I may send in an email on a Friday night, but I don't expect a reply until Monday, but frequently get replies on a Sunday evening. It's bonkers. We spoke to one of my children's teachers at parent teacher who said that she is expected to work 6/7 days a week. No one can work like that... Sorry, ranting..

Have you spoken to your union?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

RidleyRumpus
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    We spoke to one of my children's teachers at parent teacher who said that she is expected to work 6/7 days a week. No one can work like that... Sorry, ranting..

Have you spoken to your union?
    I teach 15 classes and I have to mark their books + homework once every three weeks inc stickers showing progress etc etc. That works out at a set of books and a class set of homework per night (5hours) plus planning and paperwork at the weekend.

That is impossible for me to do with my fatigue and depression, to be honest I don't think anyone can do it long term. It is terrible for my mental health.

Yes Union are involved.

What are the union saying? Are they on your side so to speak? Any chance of cutting back your hours for a while?

RidleyRumpus
    What are the union saying? Are they on your side so to speak? Any chance of cutting back your hours for a while?
    Unions are suggesting I take out a grievance. I agree with them, but I am also aware that it frequently does not end well for the employee even if they "win"

Is leaving an option for you right now? Could you make things work with supply or part time rather than full time?

RidleyRumpus
    Is leaving an option for you right now? Could you make things work with supply or part time rather than full time?
    Tricky it would mean a huge pay cut which would mean I would find it difficult to keep the house etc. TBH I feel trapped.

Are you well enough to be working at the moment? Honestly?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.