Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Nothing makes me happy *SH triggers*

Hunni, have you called the crisis team?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Well it’s been a long day.

I phoned the crisis team at 5pm. I spoke to a nurse that’s been out to see me. She talked to me for about half an hour reminding me of what I’ve got around me and that it’s not going to be like this forever. They can’t deal with my flashbacks though. I have had loads today and not sure if I can take much more. I’ve taken a sleeping tablet but waiting for that to kick in. They are upping my dose of venlafaxine on Wednesday.

Is it really necessary to wait for the meds to kick in before I have counselling?

That’s a decision for your medical team, lovely, but counselling is extremely hard and often triggering so it may be that it’s felt you need to be a little more stable before you start it. What dose of Venlafaxine will you be up to?

Well done for calling the crisis team
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I’m on 37.5 and are increasing it to 75.

I’ve had counselling in the past and know how hard it is. I just feel like I can’t cope with these flashbacks for much longer. Will the meds help with those? Or is talking about them the only way?

My husband is on 75 mg twice a day and it really has helped.

Flashbacks occur differently for everyone. I still have flashbacks from several incidents. They can be triggered by a sound, a smell or a situation. I've told my husband everything so he can help talk me through them if it's a horrific nightmarey one. I had intensive therapy years ago now and it did really help. I'm now able to talk about things without crumbling.
    One of the things I was told was to carry something with you that was a safe thing - for me it was a square of satin. Sounds stupid, but I only had positive memories around satin. It was easy to transport or to wear as a camisole top etc and so I could always have it easily in reach (tucked in a bra if necessary). I also had beady bracelet. That way each time I had a flashback, I wrote it down (date, time, trigger) and had a way to bring myself back to the present. I have to stress though that these were only techniques that I was told over 20 years ago now and things often change and this may not be right ones for you...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

OldMike (06-11-18),Paula (06-11-18)

Went back to bed this morning and the home treatment team woke me at 11am☹️ They made me some breakfast and a cuppa and made sure I took my meds. They also brought me a info sheet on dealing with flashbacks.They are coming back out tomorrow with more meds.

I’m very flat and just feel like going to bed.

I'm really glad they came to see you and the fact that you've at least had breakfast, a cuppa and your meds is really massively positive even if it doesn't feel it right now.
    Are you on your own over night?

The kids are in for tea then ones going out and the other doing homework. They are 14 and 17 so not that reliant on me other than the usual of cleaning, cooking and taxi driving! They both live with me and don’t spend that many nights away. I do feel disconnected from them at the moment, I am doing things for them because I know I have to but it’s making me very tired. It’s like I’m on auto pilot.

I know that feeling - going through the motions. Tbh, you’re cooking, cleaning and taxi driving - all of which I’d say you are amazing for being able to achieve at the moment. This will pass, lovely....
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Have you told them that you're struggling atm? Maybe they can help out doing some of those things a bit more right now?