Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nothing makes me happy *SH triggers*

Nothing makes me happy *SH triggers*

I’ve never posted on a forum before so here goes!

The one thing that was keeping me going was work but it all got too much 3 weeks ago and my world came crashing down around me. A colleague persuaded me to see my GP and I ended up getting signed off work and referred to the crisis team. The home treatment team have been visiting every day/ 2 days since.
    I’d been on fluoxetine since May for depression which got increased in July and September but that wasn’t working and the psychiatrist advised to lower the dose over 2 weeks then start Sertraline. I started that last week but ended up with a migraine and unable to get out of bed for 2 days, extremely low mood and self harming. I was advised to stop taking it and started on venlaflaxine on Wednesday. Since then I’ve had headaches, nausea and feel numb.
    Nothing makes me happy, my thoughts aren’t good and I’m battling against self harming.

Any comments/help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Hi and welcome to DWD. I'm glad you've seen your GP and that you have some kind of a plan in place. Remember that any antidepressant takes anywhere around 4 - 8 weeks to get into your system, then the same time for each dosage change and for stopping. Currently you have at least some of each of 3 meds - with side effects of starting and stopping in your system, hence why you are feeling rough...

What I will say is that my husband's story is similar to yours and actually venlafexine has been amazing for him. Are you sleeping?
    You can get through this and you deserve to be happy.
    Keep talking.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Allalone (03-11-18)

Hi and welcome. I’d never posted on a forum before I found this place, and now I count some of my dearest friends among the members! We’re warm and welcoming and, most importantly, understand
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Allalone (03-11-18),Suzi (03-11-18)

My sleep has been a major issue, I suffer from flashbacks. I’ve tried diazepam and zolpidem but only worked for a couple of nights. I’ve now been given temazapam to try. The psychiatrist has diagnosed me with PTSD along with anxiety and depression.
    I had PND after having my children and fluoxetine helped each time. This is ten times worse. I feel like I don’t know who I am anymore.
    I’m a single mum. My marriage broke down a couple of years ago.
    I feel like I’m on auto pilot. Nothing makes me happy and feel very low. I’m just not sure I have it in me to battle much more against this.

Hi it can take a couple of months before antidepressants start take effect and often the first few weeks you have side effects too so you need to give them a chance.

At our lowest we've all felt like we can't go on, but we can, it ain't easy and there's many a blip on the way but we can get there.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

Allalone (03-11-18)

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Things can and will get better, it will just take time to find the right meds for you. Finding something to distract me helped me not to self-harm most of the time, it's important not to beat yourself up though if that doesn't work and most importantly, keep your wounds clean
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

Allalone (03-11-18)

I understand that meds take a while to work or to find the right ones. I just hate this place I’m in right now. I’m trying to distract myself, listening to an audiobook, sudoku, tv and walked the dog. I haven’t self harmed today but finding it very hard to resist now.
    I haven’t got anyone close that fully understands where I’m at. I’m really grateful for your support and not being judged for self harming. My wounds are clean, don’t worry.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    I understand where you are completely. I was in that place 7 months ago. I still have a very noticeable scar on my arm from the last time I self harmed. It's a coping mechanism, albeit not a very healthy one. I know how hard it is when you feel trapped in that dark place, many of us do. It's why you will always find understanding and support here
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

Allalone (03-11-18)

Jaq’s right, love, it is a coping mechanism - one I know all about and how hard it is to not SH. So please don’t beat yourself up over it. We will never judge. You’re doing brilliantly trying to distract today and you should be proud of yourself.

I’ve added a trigger warning to your thread. It’s nothing to worry about, it just means that other members can avoid this thread if they find triggering
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Allalone (03-11-18)

We absolutely won't judge you!
    Be proud that you haven resisted so far, lovely.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Allalone (03-11-18)