Thread: Don't know whether I should move home or not

Jill

Don't know whether I should move home or not

Hi all, I did mention in my previous post that I had put in a bid for another flat. Well its come up and once I view it I have a day to make a decision. Its a rented flat via the Council.

The area the flat is in is the area I left through grief when my Mum died eleven years ago. I have always regretted it so when I saw a flat advertised there recently I put in a bid. So now its come up and I have a chance to view it and take it.

I have been to see the outside already and it is at the top of the road, whereas my other flat was at the bottom and more accessible for the buses etc. This flat also backs onto a woodland area and I am worried about feeling safe when I come home at night.

However, I have always wanted to move back there. Am I just chasing the past or finding something to give me something to look forward to and keep my mood high? My sister in law will view it with me and she makes good juidgements but at the end of the day its my decision.

Do I just move and risk regretting it later? After all I am OK where I live now and its not awful or anything.

Have you done a pros and cons list? Perhaps do that with you sister in law as she’ll have a less emotional viewpoint on it. Perhaps ask yourself, if it didn’t have those memories, would you actually want to live them in preference to your existing flat?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

As Paula says make a list of the pros and cons other than that can't really offer any advice.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

As to the woodland area - is this area unsafe? Is it upstairs or downstairs flat? If the buses are further away is that going to mean you don't go out and are more isolated?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Jill
    Thanks for your replies. The flat is an upstairs one, my current one is on the ground floor. The woodland area seems OK, I just worry about going home at night when its dark. I won't be isolated as I do go out, I work full time and am out every day. I just may end up comparing it with where I live now which has the bus stop outside. Sometimes I do walk down the road for other buses if mine if missing but there is a bus stop there when I need it.

All this is just causing my depression to feel worse.

Why not go and have a look? You don't have anything to lose by looking....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Mira
    Indeed, I would think that after you had a look you can make that list in a better way too. But do try to do it as logical as possible.