Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting my life back together (SH Triggers)

UncleChip

Putting my life back together (SH Triggers)

After opening up and leaving my previous job, I'm still in negotiations for a settlement and what I believe to be the final batch of paperwork has come through. I just need to sign it and send it back.

Additionally, I went for a job interview this morning. While the prospective new employer doesn't seem to be too impressed by my suitability for the role I applied for, he does like some of the software I have created, so there may be an alternative role for me.

On my way to the interview, I met one of the friends who left my previous workplace quite by accident. She was quite happy to see me, and I her, and she even hoped I would have a good day - something she never said at work, so she must be happier since leaving too.

I still need to finish collecting the last of the items from my office, as well as some of the programs I had written from their computers, but I'll need their permission to do that. I'm also not allowed to say goodbye to everyone until the paperwork is finalised, but I won't say anything potentially harmful about my former employer. I'll just keep it brief, something along the lines of "On the suggestion of medical experts and with the support of head office, I have decided to resign. You deserve someone who can keep pace, and while I'd like to take you all with me, I know you have responsibilities here."

Also, I've started driving on a semi-regular basis. I just need to wait for my wife to be in before I try to park the car on the drive, but we've knocked one of the gate posts down to give me an extra foot of clearance.

I'd like to thank everyone here for their advice. I'm not fully recovered yet, but I'm feeling much better.

That's all really positive! Well done!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

That put a huge smile on my face
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

UncleChip
    Well, it's about 2 months since I left my last job and I'm still looking. My son's school might still be looking for someone with my skills, but the problem is it was also my school a long time ago. Given the history of bullying I experienced there, I think there's a risk of it opening up old wounds.

I told my wife I'd call tomorrow when the staff are back, but I'm having second thoughts.
    But I have an interview lined up for Tuesday afternoon, so I may finally have found somewhere that'll make full use of my skills without giving me a nervous breakdown.

Good luck for Tuesday.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

I hope goes well!
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

UncleChip
    The initial interview with the recruiter went well, but I didn't make as good a first impression with the company.

Still, I doubt I'd have fitted in there. I've been given a challenge by another potential employer, so I've been programming all week to try and meet their requirements.

After attending a stress management course for 6 weeks, I've been recommended for one-to-one support.

I'm glad you're being referred for one to one support. I think that will be very positive for you.
    Sorry the first impression didn't go to plan - have you contacted them and asked for feedback as to why it wasn't more favourable?

UncleChip
    They interpreted my apology for not researching their company prior to the interview due to a hectic week as me being "too busy to do the research."

There's probably a lot they don't know, so I won't lash out for them being harsh with me, but I have a wife and 3 children to look after. When I'm only given 2 days to prepare, there's only so much I can do in terms of research, and most of that time was spent working out the best route to drive there.

My first appointment for one-to-one is in early December, but I'm used to these sorts of things being in excess of 2 weeks to sort out.

Ok, then maybe that interview can be thought about as training - next time you’ll appreciate that it’s just as important to research the company properly as it is to make sure you’re able to get there on time