Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Started Uni 24 hour fight or flight!

northantsgirl

Started Uni 24 hour fight or flight!

So 3 weeks ago I started uni as a mature student and it has been ok but the first 2 weeks were so overwhelming, meeting so many new people and being forced to work in groups - as well as being told you will have to do lots of presentations.
    I literally felt like i was in a panic attack 24/7 ended up crying at the locum GP as my dark thoughts were coming back and being put on lorazepam.
    This week has been a little better as i have had some of my old normality back like my DBT group but I still feel like as soon as my lecture is finished i want to get back hone and hide away again!

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    What are you studying? Could you go and speak to your tutor or student services and tell them jist how difficult you're finding it? They may be able to put something in place for you to make things easier.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

OldMike (13-10-18)

Anything new sends me into a panic so I empathise. Keep talking to us here, you can let out the angst without fearing a bad response
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Jaq is right! Go to student services - there will be something to help. You won't be the only person to have ever felt like this! Sweetheart I'm glad you managed to get to see your Dr.
    Trust me, your lecturers won't know there's an issue if you don't tell them! You can do this!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I'm the same as Paula. Anything new sends me into a panic. Jaq and suzi are right. I'm sure there is help there for you. You should be enjoying university not being panic stricken. Good for you going to the doctor!

Anything new always gets me in a tizzy too, as Suzi and Jaq say there should be help from student services.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

northantsgirl
    I have been to student services and got an appointment with the mental health team on the 5th november am seeing my PCLW tomorrow although alls she ever talks about is how soon she can discharge me!
    The whole uniform saga is not helping my anxiety at all

Uniform saga?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Uniform saga!? I must've missed something surely you can wear whatever clothes you like at uni.

Edit: Just seen Paula's post, if she doesn't know anything about "the uniform saga" what chance has an oldie like me got
    Last edited by OldMike; 14-10-18 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Updating info.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

northantsgirl
    Sorry yeah im doing occupational therapy so we have to wear uniform for placements and some of our skills groups, the biggest size isn’t big enough so i emailed the uniform supplier as it said to do to be greeted with it will cost 50% extra and you will have to ask the university if they will be willing to pay for it