Thread: Brief intro to me

Niffa

Brief intro to me

Hi,
    I've suffered with depression and anxiety for over 10 years. Just over 2 years ago, following a year of psycotherapy and then a year of limited working I was coping well. I was ready to take more steps including getting a better job and applying to study part time. My Husband and I had decided to move from our small flat to a house first, so I focused on that. I was pleased that I was coping well with such a stressful time, buying/selling and moving.
    Then on the day we moved out of our flat, I was hit by a car. I spent nearly 2 months in the hospital and 2 further months using a wheelchair part time.
    Since then my depression and anxiety have taken over again completely, I find it hard to do anything other than watch tv and eat.
    I take mirtazapine and speak to my gp every month.
    I was seeing a CBT therapist but I did not find him helpful, so am waiting to get a different therapist.

Sorry for the long intro, just wanted to tell it to someone.
    Thanks for listening.

Hi and welcome. I’m so sorry to hear about your accident, have you fully recovered or do you still have a way to go? I do understand how much something like this affects mental health as a fall some years ago has left me disabled. Are you still in pain? Do you still have to take medication to deal with the effects of your injuries? Both these will also impact your mental health.

Well done on both accepting your therapist wasn’t helpful for you, and on being willing to try CBT with someone else. Both of those things are hard to do. I know so many people who almost gave up with talking therapies, only to find having someone else guiding them through made a huge difference.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Hi and welcome!
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Niffa
    Thanks for that, it was really difficult to accept that the therapist was not the right match.
    I still have recovery to do physically. I still have damaged tissue in my left calf. I use a walking stick outdoors. I am on gabapentin for pain. I'm supposed to do physiotherapy every day, but for a while now I've not been able to make myself do it because it causes more pain. I know it will help in the long run, and that I won't improve without it, but motivation seems to be my biggest problem at the moment.

Hi and welcome to DWD. I'm sorry about your accident. I have a list of chronic physical illnesses so have mobility, dexterity issues, brain fog and fatigue.... Have you heard of the spoon theory?
    I've found mindfulness really helpful.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Niffa
    Thanks, I've not heard of spoon theory.
    I was recommended a book 'the compassionate mind' by paul gilbert which I'm slowly reading through. (I usually only read fiction). I found it interesting and some bits are helpful. I think he will cover mindfulness later in the book.

Here's the spoon theory. I love it. I tend to mention spoons a lot - esp when talking to others who don't have to deal with chronic conditions...

https://butyoudontlooksick.com/artic...-spoon-theory/
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!