Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECT and rTMS

JAY1

ECT and rTMS

Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone has had any of the treatment listed in the title and whether anyone has had success with it?

Would love to hear your stories good or bad.

thanks
    jay

Hi Jay1

There is at least one member who's had ECT and I'll wait until they reply.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

Hi Jay, we've had a number of members have had ECT or were interested in it as options for their own treatment. Have you had it suggested to you by your Doctor?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

JAY1
    hello

I haven't had it recommended to me other than my own research. I spoke to my doctor earlier today who is writing a referral for me to have an assessment (I'm assuming by a psychiatrist) and for me to then discuss this with them. Finally, the doctor also agreed that my depression is more severe as it has been ongoing for about 15 years and the 'on again, off again' antidepressant approach probably isn't the solution.....!

Maybe if you stayed on anti-depressants that may be a solution I was on and off anti-depressants for 5 or 6 years (can't remember exactly) then been on them permanently since. I've read on Wikipedia there can be problems with short term memory loss so I personally wouldn't go down that route except as a last resort. You need to discuss it with a doctor or a psychiatrist.
    Last edited by OldMike; 21-09-18 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Typos.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

I came within days of being given ECT. The reason I wasn’t was because a different psychiatrist recommended we try another different anti depressant. I was kept in hospital for a while but ultimately, the new meds worked. What I’m trying to say is that ECT is definitely a last resort for most most patients and there are many alternative options before getting to that.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

OldMike (21-09-18)

Can I ask how long you have stayed on anti d's when you have felt more stable? Have you thought about just taking them all the time if they help? I'd also urge that this really is a more last treatment offered...

ECT treatment is horrible. I've been through 2 sessions of it and it really didn't help me. You are given a sedative and the treatment lasts less than 5 minutes, but it takes a while to come around fully. Each sessions consists of 6 treatments and a hospital stay is needed each time. Short and long term memory have been permanently affected by this treatment.
    I know some people have found it helps severe depression but for me it really didn't work. I would really think seriously about even considering this treatment. Talk to people especially your doctors and see what they have to say. It's really not something to enter into lightly..

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

OldMike (22-09-18),Paula (24-09-18),Suzi (22-09-18)

Thank you for sharing Magie x

JAY1
    Thank you for your replies

I've been on the meds for at least 2 years now and I suppose I was looking for alternatives as the side effects seem to hinder parts of my life too.

I guess reading the above comments makes me write off ECT but now i'm wondering about rTMS? I think this is a newer treatment that is done without the need for sedation etc.

I think i've reached a point where I'm realising that actually I don't cope very well on my own and unless someone is looking after me then ultimately I don't cope nor do I look after myself. I often thought it was just laziness or that I'm a slob but having been staying somewhere and being looked after for the past few months and then house sitting for a few weeks, the change has been clear to me.

Ultimately, I'm unable to build a life as every time i do, my depression will hit and I have to let go of it all to cope which means I have to start again every time!