Thread: Second opinion

seashell

Second opinion

Hey everyone,

I've been on the same medication for the past 8 years. I've still my ups and downs but my depression has never been as bad as before I got medication. I feel the medication keeps my head above water and it's up to me to keep healthy, positive thoughts. I don't feel like there's an issue with my meds but I have a co-worker that seems very concerned about my depression. She says I need to see a psychiatrist and get a real diagnosis. The treatment I did so many years ago was with a counselor and a registered nurse. I got a general diagnosis from a general practitioner that referred me to the RN to find the right med combination. With the combination of Wellbutrin and prozac, along with counseling, I made such a beautiful recovery from where I was before treatment. Since then, Ive been in and out of counseling but still take my meds every day to this day.

I notice I have been struggling more with my depression lately so I started counseling again. Counseling helps but it's slow progress. My question to all of you is, do you feel it's necessary to see a psychiatrist for a "real" diagnosis? I felt the treatment I received from the counselor and RN was outstanding but now that I'm struggling again and my co-workers intense concern, well it concerns me that maybe there is a medication better suited for me and perhaps my chemistry has changed over the years. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this? I'm not looking for medical advice, just your opinion. I have a meeting with my counselor coming up and I plan to express all this to her as well.

Hi and welcome! I’m so sorry you’ve been struggling again with this - it’s hard when you know what well feels like to feel yourself slipping again ...... Hunni, I’m surprised you’ve said you had help from a nursed to find the right meds for you - only a doctor is able to prescribe medication. Definitely make an appointment with with your GP - they may or may not need to refer you to a psychiatrist but are best placed to make that call
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Hi and welcome seashell...I'm with Paula on this. See your GP. He may refer you to a psychiatrist. Your current meds may not suit you anymore. You have nothing to lose by making an appointment.

Hi and welcome.
    Medication and the whole of mental health treatment has changed so much in the last 10 years that it's always a good idea to check in with your Dr - especially if you feel that there is a change with regard to how you are feeling.
    Where are you based? What things are your coworkers saying which adds to your concern?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!