Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Action for Happiness: Self care September

Action for Happiness: Self care September

I was introduced to the Action for happiness via the MBSR course I'm doing atm. Each month they release a calendar with a different focus.
    The one for September is Self Care.
    I challenge you all to join me in trying to complete each one!

Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (01-09-18)

Day one: Recognise that self care isn't selfish. It's essential.

I've spoken about this with my family and have asked them to help me to make sure that I do some self care time. I've been trying to bring in body scan meditations and I've started some Tai Chi - we have done 2 x 30 mins in the last 2 of the MBSR course and I love that I have to focus on me, my breathing and just that movement at that time. So I've a bloke on a rock on youtube and I'm doing it! I've done it today and went on a walk too. I loved the Tai Chi so am thinking about doing more at home and then contacting a local group...
    This is the bloke on a rock I've been using as we've been doing the same movements at MBSR - you can do it seated or standing or a combination..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (01-09-18)

That’s a great idea!
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

What? The Self Care September or the Tai Chi?

The calendar mostly but tthe Tai Chi too
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I'm loving the Tai Chi - it gives you space to be just focussed on that moment - excellent mindful practise...

Day 2:
    Talk to yourself as you talk to someone you love.

Today I have told myself that although I'm not perfect in any way and I'd like to be slimmer, more beautiful, better at so many things that actually I'm good enough as ME. Actually I'm someone who tries to be kind, to do anything to help anyone and I'm a Mum who my children seem to be able to talk to about pretty much anything. That's good enough...

Your turn

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

OldMike (04-09-18),Strugglingmum (02-09-18)

Oh wow, just thinking about this made me cry, I didn’t realise I still hold so much guilt. *deep breath* here goes

What happened wasn’t my fault, it was an accident. It hasn’t ruined our family, my children have a good life and I do my best to minimise the impact on Si and the girls.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

OldMike (04-09-18),Strugglingmum (02-09-18),Suzi (02-09-18)

I'm so proud of you! It's really, really hard isn't it? But so important. Massive respect Paula x

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Paula (02-09-18)

I forgot to share this with you yesterday!

Day 3: Make some time for you by clearing unnecessary appointments..

Yesterday afternoon we turned off all electricals, no phones, no computers etc and we sat as a family playing "cards against humanity" and a cut down version of Balderdash. It was lovely! We had decided to clear yesterday afternoon last week and the kids and I had bought some games and I'd secretly ordered CAH as we'd all wanted to play it!
    And I did a Tai Chi session! That's Friday in MBSR, Sat, Sun and Mon!

Day 4: Forgive yourself when things go wrong - we all make mistakes.

This one is tough. Really tough. I can do the surface stuff such as getting Sainsbury's doritos for the boys and them not liking them, ok so it wasn't great but we adapted and did something different.
    The big things I'm struggling with. I know there are things that have been mistakes, but actually I'm always really quick to take full responsibility and to state that I should have done.... or should have been.... or should be able to.... and that's hard and emotional.... It's definitely a work in progress.
    Tai Chi and games for this afternoon as my babies go back to school tomorrow and I really don't want them to.

Oooo I did yesterday’s but didn’t know it! Si took some impromptu time off, we went out for lunch as a family and Si and I have been watching movies and new tv programmes together - all very sci fi and nerdy which we love!

Forgiving myself? When guilt is my default? I even found myself stressing over the huge list of genetic ‘issues’ my family has and what I might have passed on to my kids unknowingly. I know it’s irrational as they’re both really healthy but I struggle with this one.