Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New here - Don't know whether to see my GP

That's really brilliant!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Prycejosh1987
    Quote Originally Posted by jambuttie View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and I don't know whether I might have a form of depression or I'm just being a hypochondriac. I’m not after a diagnosis or anything but I guess I just need some advice on whether it’s worth seeing my GP.

I’m just over 40, male, good job, nice house, wife, kids, no major traumas past or present. I should be happy and content.

I’ve struggled with my moods over perhaps the last 25 years (17 onward). The worst period was when I was in my late 20’s where I had maybe a 4month period where I was not in a good mental state. I would be very, very down nearly every day, i didn’t want to go on, at one point I actually started to think the world around me wasn’t real if that makes sense (very strange when I look back). I came out of it and I haven’t had anything that severe since. I think at that point I was depressed and should have seen someone.

Anyways on a continual basis I have periods where I’m ok and can function in life OK. I can focus on work, I do my hobbies, meet friends and family. There are odd days where I’ve had a bad day but on the whole I’m content and happy. This can last weeks and even months. I would say this is “normal” me.

I’ve also had periods where I’m super productive in the things I do. I can obsess about my hobbies a lot, work obsessively (all night even, although kids have stopped this trait a bit) and generally be really productive. The things I do when I’m in this way, I generally do quite obsessively. This generally lasts weeks rather than months and is followed up by me burning out, a crash and period of inactivity, sadness, lack of motivation, unable to function at work, loss of interest in friends and family.

I can also have periods where out of nowhere, all of a sudden it’s like everything starts to fall in on itself. I start behaving unlike myself, I start to engage in destructive behaviour that is not good for my marriage. I become very insular, stop meeting up with friends and family, Stop communicating with my wife, I stop doing my hobbies, my eating patterns and daily habits go out of the window and I can’t focus on work. My mind races like crazy and the destructive behaviour becomes obsessive. When I’m in this state it’s like I just don’t care, like I’m a different person. I can get angry with my family and snap at them. I’m not saying I feel sad in this state, in fact in some ways I feel the opposite. This can last several weeks. Then I start to come down to earth and either go back to “normal” me or can have a period of sadness, guilt, lack of motivation again.

Well that was a bit of a ramble and I’m not after any kind of diagnosis but these cycles of ups and downs are doing my fricking head in and I’m going to end up losing my job and or my family if I don’t do something about it soon. They seem to be getting worse as the years go by.

The reason why I’m reluctant to go to my GP is because it’s not like I can’t get out of bed in the morning or have suicidal thoughts. I’ve been around a couple of people with severe depression and I feel a bit of a fraud to put myself in the same category as them but something is not right and its having a detrimental effect on my life.

I guess what I’m asking, in a very lengthy and convoluted way, is has anyone else had a similar experience, does it sound like depression and is it something my GP would be able to help with?

Thanks x
    I think you should see a therapist.

It's not that easy to do that - there are long waiting lists etc...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!