Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New here - Don't know whether to see my GP

jambuttie
    Thanks, I will definitely go into it with an open mind. I'm with you on the mindfulness Suzi. I did six months of online treatment on addiction (not drugs or alcohol, more a compulsive thing) and that's where I started meditating. I went into it reluctantly at first because of my preconceptions but boy was I wrong! It opened a whole new world to me in regards to being able to focus and rein in my thoughts before they lead me down the wrong path.

I don't meditate as much at the moment but the effects of doing it for six months everyday mean I'm more aware of my thoughts now even if I've not managed to do it religiously. I learnt a few good tools on that course and although it acknowledged the past it was very much focused on the now and future so I'm definitely open to learning more tools for the box Paula.

Even doing a couple of body scans might help? Maybe try to get back into it a little? I'm so glad that you found it useful!
    Last edited by Suzi; 14-09-18 at 10:33 AM.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

jambuttie
    Yep, it certainly helped with focus and my addictive behaviours but, for me, not so much the cycle of low moods. I do need to keep doing it though to keep me in check! I'll do some today!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jambuttie For This Useful Post:

Paula (14-09-18)

That's the trick, to remember to keep on using those skills....

jambuttie
    Good Morning!

Just an update and looking for some advice please. I had my first CBT session last Friday morning which was good and helpful on the whole.

My question is, from others experience, is there a benefit to telling work about my problems. It would help explain, what must be an obvious lack in performance recently.

It would also mean I could do my CBT on a Friday morning without worrying about it making me late for work every week (which it will).

My work are very good and I've worked there over 20yrs. I'm only accountable to my directors so it's not like there is a chain of people who would need to know and I think on the whole it might be better that they are aware of it rather than thinking I've just become bad at my job.

I don't want any special treatment or time off but maybe just a little breathing space in regards to my performance while I work through things. In my head I'm thinking they would be supportive but I guess there is always a risk with how people react. I also don't want them to start thinking they can't give me stuff to do either.

Any thoughts?

I’ve also been an advocate for honesty where mental health is concerned but I appreciate not everybody feels the same as me

If you think it’d help and that you could perhaps adjust your working hours to compensate, then perhaps explaining the basics is a good idea itms
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

jambuttie
    Hi Paula, Thanks for the reply. I feel deep down that I need to be honest with my directors. The alternative is that I lie about where I am during my CBT sessions and hope that I can keep my productivity above the being sacked threshold in the mean time. Just kidding they would talk to me before it got that far I'm sure.

Thanks again!

We've always been honest and open about My Lovely Husband's mental health - with both of our employers when we were working, with the schools that our children go to etc - but again, not everyone wants or is able to have that kind of openness...

jambuttie
    Hi, thanks for the feedback. I decided to tell them last Friday and they were very supportive with me coming in late on Fridays so I can do the CBT sessions and anything else I might need.

That’s great news! Well done for talking to them
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post: