Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New here - Don't know whether to see my GP

That's really positive - you've got a quick assessment appointment and you're going to talk to your wife. Brilliant. Well done.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

jambuttie
    Hi, Thanks. I talked to my wife and she was glad I told her and supportive. She was a bit upset with herself that she hadn't noticed or that I hadn't told her earlier (I have a tendency to try and hide things and deal with them myself) but I assured her that there was nothing obvious to notice and that sometimes I don't notice until it's too late myself and I think she felt better then. I also assured her that it wasn't anything in my family or work life that was making me feel this way.

My mood feels a bit better today but I'm still struggling to focus on things and I keep forgetting what I'm saying half way through talking lol. I guess It's a waiting game now so thanks again for your help.

I think ‘dealing with things ourselves’ is a common theme in many people with MH problems. Now that your wife knows what’s going on, and if you involve her in your recovery, she’ll soon start to notice the symptoms more easily, I’m sure
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I can't tell you how pleased I am that you've told her what's going on. I know for me it made everything so much easier when I at least knew what was going on in my husbands head.
    I now spot when things are slipping faster than he does. We now work as a team with his mental health.

jambuttie
    Hi,

Just an update to show my appreciation for all your help. I had my initial telephone assessment last Friday and the lady suspects that I have mild depression and possibly some anxiety from what I told her. The next steps are that she speaks to her supervisor to decide what, if any, therapy options would suit me.

She will call again this coming Friday to discuss options. The low mood has lifted a lot this last week, although after speaking to her I actually felt worse rather than better for a day or two. I'm going to keep going with this even though I feel a lot better than I did a couple of weeks ago.

That's great- it does often make you feel worse to start with as you actually are dealing with what's causing your low moods etc...

That's great, therapy can be difficult as it tries to get to the cause of what is causing your depression/anxiety so you need to persist with it.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

jambuttie
    Hi, I had my assessment and am starting CBT Guided Self Help next Friday (over the telephone). I'm not quite sure what to expect from it to be honest. I read a little on the NHS website and I'll give anything a go.

I'm worried that I won't be able to offer much in the way of things that could be causing my low moods and behaviour.

Counselling is weird. You never think that it could help, the same as I believed about mindfulness, but it does. It can make things come to the surface which you've tried to bury even without knowing it... Do give it a go with an open mind.

You may find that it’ll be more about working on how you manage situations, thoughts, mood and behaviour going forward more than what’s behind you itms?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.