Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Magical Adventure through a Time Portal

CaterpillarGirl
    Chapter Four
    Mum sang along to the music playing loudly in the kitchen as she started to make the tea. She was making Lena’s favourite; sausage pasta in tomato sauce. She glanced towards the silent living room as she chopped onions, still singing, and wondered what Lena was up to.
    “She must have gone upstairs on YouTube or something” she said aloud to herself absent-mindedly, and carried on with her chopping. Soon the tea was ready, the glorious smell of rich, thick tomatoey sauce and meaty sausages wafted through the house. Mum walked through the living room to the bottom of the stairs.
    “Lena!” she shouted up and then waited a few moments. No reply.
    “Lena!” she tried again a little louder this time, still nothing.
    “LENA!” she yelled at the top of her voice and then sighed angrily as she made her way up the stairs. “Lena I’ve been shouting you for…” she said as she opened Lena’s door, “Oh…” the room was filled with a still silence, nothing moved, not so much as a twitch, nobody was in here. Crystal the cat strolled over from outside the bathroom and meowed as she entwined herself around mum’s legs. “Where on Earth is Lena?” mum asked her, bending down to scratch the silky soft fur between her ears.
    “Meow” Crystal replied.
    “And Mia too” mum continued.
    “Meow” said Crystal again, and leapt up onto Lena’s bed, settled herself down and began licking her paws. Mum stomped back down the stairs, leaving Lena’s bedroom door open behind her.
    “If she’s gone out without telling me again, and with the dog too!” She muttered to herself as she walked back into the kitchen. She covered Lena’s tea up and placed it in the microwave, picked up her own tea and sat down with it on the couch. She loaded up Netflix, selected a program, settled down and began eating.

CaterpillarGirl
    Chapter Five
    Without even a seconds thought, Lena and Mia turned and ran towards the voice. It came from a small hole beside a rock that had just appeared a short way from the path. The two of them immediately jumped down the hole and landed with a gentle ‘splat’ in some soft green mud.
    “Follow me” said the small voice squeakily, and they heard it pitter-patter away down a corridor to the left. They looked at each other and Lena shrugged.
    “Can’t get any worse I suppose” she said, and took off after the voice.
    “Well I’m not staying here by myself” Mia stated, and ran to catch up. They followed the voice through various tunnels, twists and turns, some vast, echoey caverns and some tunnels so small Lena had to crawl through the mud on all fours. It was pitch black down there and neither could see a thing, following only the sounds of the footsteps of whoever was in front.
    “I’m not so sure about this” Lena could hear the worry in Mia’s voice.
    “What do you suggest we do? Go back to the top?” She asked, trying and failing to look back at her fluffy companion.
    “We could try a different tunnel,” Mia replied, “I’m just not sure I trust this… voice” she kept her own voice low.
    “You thought those cloud things were harmless,” said Lena “I think we need help right now.” Mia sighed, but continued to follow Lena as Lena continued to follow the squeaky voice. After a while they entered another huge cavern, except this one was filled with a warm, glowing, yellow light and they could see a few pieces of homemade furniture, cobbled together from bits of broken wood and stone. The ‘voice’ turned to face them, it wasn’t much bigger than Mia; the colour of carrot cake, it had a squirrel-like face with long, thin, pointed ears and it’s body was round and fat, covered in long, flowing, silky fur. It held out a podgy hand towards them,
    “Malemming, please ta meetcha” it squeaked, a rosy blush entering its cheeks.
    “I don’t understand” Lena replied, “what does merlemmin mean?”
    “Malemming, tha’s ma nayme” the creature replied, its arm still outstretched.
    “Oh, sorry, Lena” said Lena, shaking Malemming’s hand vigorously, “and these is my dog, Mia, she can’t shake hands”
    “I can speak for myself,” said Mia, reaching a paw out towards Malemming, Malemming gripped Mia’s paw in his hand and shook.
    “Please ta meetchas both” he said again, and grinned broadly, still blushing, “please excuse tha state of ther playce, don’t get manys in the way of visiters” he said, indicating the cavern with his arm.
    “That’s ok,” said Lena, “you saved our lives, how can we ever thank you?”
    “Oh yous don’t owe me nothin’, couldn lives with maself if I’d let yous get got by them there critters up there, theys evil they is, yous’ll be sayfe down ere wi’ me.” He busied himself tidying up the cave, “would yous like summink to drink?” he asked.
    “Er, sure, thank you” Lena replied, perching on the edge of a large piece of rock that may or may not have been a chair. Malemming pottered around in one corner of the cavern and returned with two wooden cups filled to the brim with a sickly sweet smelling sparkly blue liquid. Lena took a tentative sip and felt a happy glow flow around her body.
    “Wow, that’s amazing” she said, completely astonished, “not what I expected at all” the drink made her feel good, but slightly heady, and she lay back gently on the rock chair. Mia took a sip of hers and instantly felt as though she were floating.
    “I could get used to this,” she stated, as a fuzzy feeling of warmth filled her head. She lay down next to Lena and before they knew it they had both drifted off into a blissful sleep.
    A few hours later they awoke to find the cavern empty,
    “Malemming?” Lena called out gently. There was no reply, she got up, feeling more rested that she ever remembered feeling in her life, and wandered around the cave. Mia stretched and rolled over on the rock,
    “What’s going on?” she asked Lena sleepily as her mouth stretched open in a big yawn.
    “Malemming’s gone,” replied Lena, she had stopped in the corner at Malemming’s kitchen and was hunting for more of the fabulous liquid. Then, out of nowhere, came a terrible, awful, resonating sound,
    “Thwonk” it said, “Thwonk, Thwonk, Thwonk, Thwonk,” the walls shuddered and the ground shook, Lena and Mia swallowed hard in unison and looked towards the gap in the wall where the sound was coming from, opposite from where they had come in. They stood frozen to the spot, staring, listening, waiting.

I'm loving it!

Oh and please don't tell me who A is, we're still working our way through it!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

CaterpillarGirl
    Glad you're enjoying, I'm sharing it with my mum too which is quite daunting because she writes too and is very good (she's been shortlisted a couple of times and has stories in a couple of books, nothing major but still pretty impressive) she likes it too though which helps my confidence massively!

I love pretty little liars but don't worry you'll get no spoilers from me, Lena would kill me if I wrote it into the book anyway!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CaterpillarGirl For This Useful Post:

Suzi (19-08-18)

I've just been updating my thread so I shall read your latest chapters after dinner
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

Chapter 5 is a real cliffhanger, you've got a nice way with words and conjure up some really good mental images (well in my mind they do).
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

CaterpillarGirl
    I'm really glad you guys are enjoying it, I love writing I'm just not great with the letting other people read it part! Chapter 6 is still a work in progress at the moment, too tired to write today and I have edits to do on an assignment so that's my priority, as soon as I've got that done and sent back in though I will do some more work on my story

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CaterpillarGirl For This Useful Post:

OldMike (19-08-18)

As and when lovely! Keep going as and when you can lovely....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

That’s fab! I’m loving it so far
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

CaterpillarGirl
    I wrote this next chapter yesterday and then completely forgot to post it. I'm not sure if I'm happy with it, I feel like it might be lacking something, so any thoughts would be much appreciate. Thanks for taking the time to read it

They could hear heavy footsteps approaching, echoing ominously along the corridor.
    “Thwonk, Thwonk, Thwonk” the noise continued, getting louder and louder, the footsteps getting closer and closer. Mia edged over to Lena, padding her feet lightly across the ground. Lena picked Mia up in her arms and held her close,
    “It can’t be worse than the giant cloud monsters, can it?” she whispered.
    “I don’t know” Mia answered, shaking slightly as Lena gripped her tightly, “it certainly sounds worse”. A large shadow loomed towards the gap in the wall, almost filling it completely. Lena could almost feel her knees knocking together and she struggled to keep hold of Mia who was now shaking violently.
    “Why… are we not… running?” Mia asked Lena quietly
    “I. Don’t. Know.” Came Lena’s response, her feet felt firmly glued to the ground.
    “What’s wrong?” Came a loud, dopey sounding voice from over by the gap. Lena and Mia both turned together to where the voice had come from. There, standing in the gap, was a great, bulky, ogre looking creature with a big, knobbly wooden club in his hand. “what is it?” he asked them, fear entering into his voice, “is something a’coming?” he looked all around nervously and started chewing his lip, his wooden club hung limply at his side.
    “Ah, there yous is Glodrick,” said Malemming as he sauntered back into the cavern from yet another hole in the wall. “I’s been looking everywhere for ya, yous gots to meet ours guests”.
    “No Malemming, there’s a monster a’coming, we’ve gots to hide!” the ogre was pacing from one foot to the other causing the walls of the cave to shake, his club banging against the floor,
    “Thwonk, Thwonk, Thwonk”
    He scratched his nose and stared vacantly at Malemming. Lena gently lowered Mia onto the floor. Malemming looked around warily, his whiskers twitching erratically on the end of his mottled, orangey snout.
    “M…m…monsterses?” he asked quietly, his emerald green eyes growing wide with fear.
    Lena sighed impatiently, “there’s no monster, it was just Glodrick” she stood with her hand on her hip, tapping her foot on the cold, damp ground causing small splashes of dirty water to splatter up her legs and onto her once pristine white socks.
    “Glodrick not monster” said Glodrick sulkily, “Glodrick friend” and he held out his hand towards Lena, almost sending her flying across the room with his club. Mia growled viciously and stood between them, her eyes fixed pointedly on Glodrick, glowering menacingly. Towering above her Glodrick made Mia look like an ant standing in front of a human, but he eyes Mia suspiciously,
    “friend” Glodrick repeated emphatically, and help out his other hand, deciding that the small dog was not a threat and that it was always nice to make new friends. Lena took his large, warty hand in hers and shook it gently, his rough skin feeling like sandpaper again her unblemished child’s skin,
    “Nice to meet you Glodrick”, she said, “but we really need to get out of here now”
    “Yes we do” added Mia “it smells like feet down here”, she wrinkled her nose in disgust.
    “Let me fix yous a drinks” said Malemming, ignoring them both and walking over to the corner kitchen and pulling a pale brown jug down from the cupboard, “Yous’a probably thirsty yees?” he poured them each a drink of the same sparkly blue liquid from the day before.
    “We’re fine” Mia replied, poking Lena in the leg with her paw, “we need to find our way home, mum will be worried”.
    “Oh” Malemming said, looking from Lena to Mia, a confused expression on his face, “but yous is home now” and he handed them each a cup, staring at them expectantly.