Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram

Walker extraordinaire!

Citalopram

Hi all I was on venlafaxine for 2years . Recently Dr decided to try a change to citalopram. Took me a while to ween down off one and start new one. I'm on citalopram now for about 4 weeks but I have to say I don't feel that great. Anyone any experiences with it??

Side effects with any AD can take a few weeks to lessen, particularly as you’ve come off something else (and Venlafaxine is one of the worst in that respect). In what way are you not feeling great?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Walker extraordinaire!
    Hi I feel like I'm really disconnected from everything, like seeing life thru a fog. I'm not sleeping and exhausted all the time. My mood is still really low and motivation is non existent. I am also really hungry all the time and have put on 4kg in that short time. Have a medication review tomorrow with my health care team so will see what they suggest. I really don't want to stay on something with such side effects, especially if I'm not getting any lift in my mood.

CaterpillarGirl
    I've been on it in the past, it made me completely numb, like I was just going through the motions but I didn't feel anything, to the point where I didn't even feel love for my daughter, I decided I'd rather deal with the pain than feel nothing so I stopped taking them. They are different for everyone though and they do take a while to start working properly

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaterpillarGirl For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (14-08-18),Suzi (14-08-18)

Definitely talk it through with your health team. It may be this AD doesn’t suit you, that doesn’t mean others won’t.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Quote Originally Posted by CaterpillarGirl View Post
    I've been on it in the past, it made me completely numb, like I was just going through the motions but I didn't feel anything, to the point where I didn't even feel love for my daughter, I decided I'd rather deal with the pain than feel nothing so I stopped taking them. They are different for everyone though and they do take a while to start working properly
    That's exactly what it was like for my husband too.... He then switched to fluoxetine and things changed. Now he's on Venlafexine and for him, it's been a miracle drug...
    Talk things through with your mh team lovely..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (14-08-18)

Walker extraordinaire!
    Saw consultant today. So stopping citalopram and restarting venlafaxine with a view to going right up to 375mg. Was on 300mg venlafaxine before. Happy to be off the citalopram but trying not to feel venlafaxine is a backwards step.
    The big thing is the consultant persuaded me to try some night sedation again to try and get my sleep sorted and therefore hopefully improve my other symptoms.
    Baby steps.

It’s not a backwards step, lovely. If Venlafaxine suited you and it’s the dose that needs changing, then going down that route Should be a positive step. Btw I’m on 375mg too - the books will tell you 300mg is the max but I know pdocs have the extra wiggle room to prescribe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (16-08-18)

Definitely not a backwards step! Go with the meds that work love....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (16-08-18)

Walker extraordinaire!
    Citalopram completely finished now. Just to get my venlafaxine dose worked up now and see how things go.