Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprise Surprise!

Surprise Surprise!

Having been together for 24years I honestly did not think my husband could do anything to surprise me. Tonight our doorbell went at just before 7pm and I opened it to a couple of friends standing with a bottle of wine in their hands. I was so confused and couldn't work out why they were there. My hubby had invited them for a meal, cleaned the kitchen/diner and done all the cooking........ and I hadn't had any clue at all.
    It's been a couple of years since we had folk in for a meal (we used to do it every week) . Thankfully it was a couple with whom it didn't matter that I was standing in shorts and vest top slippers on my feet and not sure if I even brushed my hair today. I enjoyed. It could have backfired terribly but my mood is ok today and they explained that my hubby had said if I wasn't in a good place he would cancel and they understood perfectly and made me feel so at ease with being so informal.
    They are fairly new friends but I can already tell they are going to be good good friends. X

That’s lovely, just shows how much your hubby loves you and how much your friends care
    Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. James 1 v 19

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (10-08-18)

That's awesome! So glad you had a lovely time!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (10-08-18)

That's beautiful and such an unexpected yet delightful surprise.
    71 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"
    ~~~ Please check out the latest quiz (Fun and Games > Quiz) I'm sure you'll find it fun. ~~~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (11-08-18)

If he had asked me about inviting people over I would have said no as the thought of getting everything sorted would have been so overwhelming (used to not fizz on me)
    Sometimes I feel guilty that the very social life we used to have had disintegrated because of me. Actually seeing my hubby enjoying playing host reminded me of how drastically our lives have changed in the last few years. He really needs friends around. I will have to try and make a bigger effort to let this happen.

I think it's great that it's happened and you all enjoyed it this time! Maybe doing it like this so you don't have chance to stress out over it is a good idea until you get more used to having people over and doing the "social thing" again?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (11-08-18)

I think so. I refused an invite out for us tonight to another friends house for some Chinese food. The thought of it just threw me. Queen of finding the flimsiest excuse not to go!!! Is it any wonder we have few friends : P

Give yourself a break! You're poorly! You didn't get this poorly overnight and it won't be magically better overnight either.....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (11-08-18)

There is no way I’d have been able to do ‘company’ twice the same week, never mind two nights in a row. You’ve done brilliantly and did the right thing by saying no tonight
    Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. James 1 v 19

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (11-08-18)

That sounds lovely, so glad you enjoyed yourself I completely agree about not wanting to do the social thing again so soon after though, sometimes it can be too much

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CaterpillarGirl For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (12-08-18)