Thread: Mental health & Euthanasia **STRONG SU TRIGGERS***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mental health & Euthanasia **STRONG SU TRIGGERS***

I posted this on my Facebook page earlier:

First can I say that this post is NOT for a discussion on euthanasia, I will not have that sort of discussion on Facebook - it’s too emotive, too dividing. What this post is, is to express how saddened I am that a young woman, with her whole life ahead of her, was unable to find the right treatment and the right doctor who could help her pain. I’ve suffered with mental health illness almost all my life and know exactly what that pain was doing to her. I’ve never known life without it on my shoulder, waiting for the optimum moment to send me into another crisis. I’ve wanted to die (which is something I’ve never said publicly before) and, at those moments, saw death as mercy. I’ve been adamant that there was no way through for me. But, years ago, my psychiatrist told me that there is ALWAYS a way through. And he’s been constantly proved right. Yes, I’m never going to be completely free of this disease and my life is always going to be affected by it, but my life also has light and love and wonder - all things I would never have known if I’d died. This lovely girl will never know what it is to spend your life with the love of your life, she will never know the joy of becoming a mother. That makes me unbearably sad ......

The troubled 29-year-old helped to die by Dutch doctors http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-45117163
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I understand why it's sad and I think it's terribly sad, but I also think that it was a brave thing for her to choose and for the state to sanction. I wish that it was legal in this country...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

So terribly sad
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

Walker extraordinaire!
    The sad thing is i can really relate to how this girl was feeling. I said to my nurse just today, why do we think life is only worthwhile if we live a long time?. I used to be a nurse and worked for Marie Curie. We used to talk about people who managed a pain free peaceful death as being a good outcome.

Wow, that was a tough job.... Vital and so worthwhile, but so emotionally tough.

I agree about the pain free and peaceful death as a good outcome. When I lost my Dad the hospice were amazing and that's exactly what they were aiming for. I think that's what we'd all hope for too....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (10-08-18)