Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Loneliness *SU Trigger*

Walker extraordinaire!

Loneliness *SU Trigger*

So this time last week I was in hospital following another overdose. I'm home and doing ok.
    I live with my hubby and 3 teens. I just feel so so alone all the time. I have been battling depression for 3 years and I confess that I do tend to isolate a lot and hold people at arms length. I have lost a lot of friends over the past 2 years and I know its my fault. I find loneliness so overwhelming at times that I can get hopeless.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to let down the defences?? How to trust people with how I feel, how my thoughts work? Basically how do I trust people who dont understand my illness to be able to cope with me
    Last edited by Suzi; 06-08-18 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Adding a SU TRIGGER warning as per DWD standard practise.

CaterpillarGirl
    It's such a difficult thing to do, to be honest the first time I was open about my depression I was drunk and confessed to my next door neighbour, she didn't really understand but she tried to hard to and was so understanding that it made it easier for me to open up to others (not that I'm saying you should get drunk and tell people, more that even though it's hard it feels good to open up and once you've told one person it is so much easier to be open with others too)

CaterpillarGirl
    Sorry I don't know how to edit my post but I meant to put *tried so hard to*

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CaterpillarGirl For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (06-08-18)

I've added a *SU Trigger warning* just to alert other members that this thread discusses suicide. It's nothing to worry about, but other members may find it triggering for their own journey.

I'm glad you're home and your attempt wasn't completed. You can do this, you can get through this.
    Are you in touch with the crisis team at all? What kind of support do you have?
    As to social things, I've found being here on this forum brilliantly social. I've got to know so many wonderful people and then from here you can branch out maybe looking at your local Mind groups or a recovery college... Step by step lovely...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I just want to tell you how happy I am you are home, safe and sound. Depression is abit like having a huge ugly monster following you everywhere, but only you can see it. However, everyone else can see how it affects you. It scares everyone away, and you feel so alone with the monster. Telling about it to others is scary, but the ones that really matter will listen, and try to understand, and somehow it makes the monster shrink abit. There begins to eventually be room even if it is around, and recovering can really start. Don't give up. Let us try to help you. You probably knew this already, but talking about things like this helps us as well. We are taking this worst classtrip ever together, one that none of us had signed for. Some of us are in the group, some of us accompaning the travellers. But we can get through this, together. Even it feels so, you are not alone, you are important, and you do matter. And People do care. Maybe we here can kelp you kick that monsters booty.
    I am fluent in finnish, swedish, english, sarcasm and profanity.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sissy For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (07-08-18),magie06 (07-08-18),OldMike (07-08-18),Paula (07-08-18),Strugglingmum (07-08-18),Suzi (07-08-18)

Awesome post Sissy!
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Sissy (07-08-18),Strugglingmum (07-08-18)

Walker extraordinaire!
    Thank you everyone. Yes I have good medical support and am really lucky and blessed with the input I have. Most people around me know of my illness and my struggle but there are very few (none) who understand. They think I should be better by now and really I'm just being selfish and not trying hard enough and treating my husband and kids terribly....... I guess I need new friends �� ��
    So shoulders Back, chin up try again another day. Xx
    Thank you for the support. I really feel like people here understand. Xx

No one can know exactly how you feel, but wey do understand how badly it cripples you emotionally and socially. Unless you have lived with it, you can not see how bottomless pit it feels like. But the bottom is there, and you can climb back up.
    I am fluent in finnish, swedish, english, sarcasm and profanity.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sissy For This Useful Post:

magie06 (07-08-18),Strugglingmum (07-08-18),Suzi (07-08-18)

Sissy, those posts are brilliant!

StrugglingMum- hunni, you will get new friends being here - I know I have. Even though things are tough right now, you can get through this and you can do it completely and utterly!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Strugglingmum (07-08-18)

Walker extraordinaire!
    Have been rereading my original post and realise even though I've been trying to make life as normal as possible my mood is still in the pits. Exhaustion really takingbovr
    Dr.