Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by CaterpillarGirl View Post
    My daughter confessed to me today that she feels sad a lot for no reason, so we're going to try and get out of the house together more often to see if it helps us both
    That’s a very good idea and Sissy’s right, it’s great that she is able to talk to you. How old is she? Would she be willing to ask for help from school?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Absolutely agree, talk to the school too - get some help and support for there too..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

CaterpillarGirl
    I've been depressed since I was about 13 and my mum and dad still don't know, my daughter is 11 and has just left primary school (although they were really good for encouraging children to be open and talk about things, the school was the reason I'm getting the help I need now) we've established that leaving school is the reason my daughter feels sad (a handful of her good friends are going to different high schools and she probably won't see them again) and I think some of it is because we got a puppy last year who was unfortunately very sick and passed away after 3 days, we got another puppy not long after (she turns one this month) but I know my daughter is still hurting about the first one (I am too but I try not to think about him too much) I think she just needs to be busy and keep her mind off things which in turn forces me to keep busy too

The change in schools is so disrupting to children. I've been through it with each of mine - 2 of which have Aspergers and change is a huge trigger for them... I found it helped to talk about the new school - do some research with her about what buildings are where, where the loos are, what happens at lunchtime, where she goes in and comes out and we also gave them the chance to have friends over in the summer holidays or gave them the chance to meet up in town etc... Also make sure she's got contact numbers so they can all stay connected if they want to... Just because they are going to different schools it doesn't mean they can't stay in touch

CaterpillarGirl
    We've been to her new school a couple of times to look round, she has some friends already there and some going with her, unfortunately only one of her friends that is going to a different school has a phone so she has no way of keeping in touch with the others

I think, from my experience, most kids gets phones when they move up to senior school. Perhaps that one friend with a phone could keep your daughter updated with He new phone numbers when her friends get them?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

CaterpillarGirl
    That's a nice idea but they're all going to completely different schools! If I had known before she left I'd have told her to write her number down for each of her friends then when they got phones they could text her but she didn't tell me until after they finished

Oh no! Can you get in contact with any of their Mums via something like FB?

CaterpillarGirl
    Not sure of any of their names but I'll ask my daughter and see if she knows (although to be honest I have a feeling they're not very tech savvy and might not be on social media)

But their Mums might be?