Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any tips?

CaterpillarGirl

Anyone have any tips?

Every day seems to feel slightly worse than the previous and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to leave the house unless absolutely necessary (for example this morning my fiance suggested we go to curry's and the mere thought of going out into the world almost brought on a panic attack) so far I've been managing to get myself to work everyday but I feel sick the entire time I'm there and I keep spacing out and feeling like I'm not myself. The weekend away with my family seemed to help but already feels like a lifetime ago, I just wondered if anyone had any tips on how to get through the day while I'm waiting on my doctors appointment because honestly every day is such a struggle right now

Julie
    Hi Caterpillar girl

Some things that may or may not be useful or helpful

- there are breathing exercises ( to breath abdominally rather than chest) to do for stress/anxiety to. Google NHS breathing exercises
    - Journaling and write down your feelings and thoughts. you can always review this and take to the GP .
    - I liked watching the ACT video online the unwelcome party guest ( looking at accepting the feelings are there)
    - yoga ( if able to physically)
    - and the general self care and be kind to yourself

It is difficult to offer advice and I don't wish too because everyones path and issues are different.

It sounds like you are really looking after yourself and have set up seeing the GP to look at getting some help as you recognise you are not feeling well.

This is great and I wish you well and all the best

Julie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:

Something that helped me, when I could, but does require a change in lifestyle was getting my dogs. Having them need me to walk them every day forced me out of the house. I can’t walk them anymore and I really miss that.

Try not to overreach and take it step by baby step. Walking to the local shops may not be doable yet but walking to the end of the driveway without panicking might be.

The biggest help I ever got was a nurse telling me (after I’d collapsed in the hospital reception) that it won’t go on for ever. The body’s ability to keep producing the adrenaline caused by the panic attack is finite (about 25 minutes) so it WILL end.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

OldMike (31-07-18)

It will end....
    Baby steps lovely. Be kind to yourself and take 1 step then go in, then 2, then 3 and build it up one step at a time if needed....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

CaterpillarGirl
    Those are all really helpful, I'll definitely try those breathing techniques, thanks guys

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaterpillarGirl For This Useful Post:

Paula (01-08-18),Suzi (01-08-18)

How's it going lovely???

CaterpillarGirl
    Not too bad, I was at my dad's yesterday before work, I always seem to feel better when I'm around people I just won't go out of my way to arrange to see people

That sounds familiar!

CaterpillarGirl
    My daughter confessed to me today that she feels sad a lot for no reason, so we're going to try and get out of the house together more often to see if it helps us both

You are Lucky your daughter feels that she can tell you difficult things like that, I am really happy for you both. I am sure you can help each other better since you can understand the darkness that comes with depression. It took me way too long to be able to tell my mom. And that led to massive problems no one realised were probably mostly caused by being depressed. I was diagnosed with depression at age of 15 but have been depressed since childhood. I hope you both feel better.