Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Setback

Norm

Recent Setback

I've not posted here for a while. I have been keeping ok, keeping the demons well into the back of my mind. After a couple of false starts have held down a full time job for 7 months now.

Anyway, over the last few weeks I have been feeling extremely tired, pretty much been pushing myself to get through the working week but have nothing left in the tank for the weekend. I have felt my mood slide and have worried I am going back to how I was a couple of years ago.

I spoke to my GP a couple of weeks ago about the tiredness and mood swings, she got me back on the citralopram daily (I had been taking smaller doses on alternate days).

I have been considering taking a few days sick leave for a while now but resisted but have now felt no option to go off for a few days to recharge and try to get my mind together. My boss is not the most considerate of people and I have been dreading telling him why I was off sick but did it today. No sure he understood but hey ho.

There are people off on holiday for the rest of the month from Monday and I hope by taking the days off sick I will be able to recharge a bit and limp through the next few weeks and focus on my own holidays in mid August.

Hey Norm, it's good to see you. Sorry you're feeling bad though. Well done for talking to your GP and getting some more help. Do you know what's caused the change?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Norm
    I don't know why the sudden change in mood. In theory I should be fine. Got a new car arriving any day now, got a holiday to New York next month, thing is I'm dreading the holiday and not at all excited by the car.

Everything is negative right now. I had a row with one of the bosses at work yesterday. He was being an arse basically, that was my tipping point that made me decide to step back for a few days because the mood I am in right now would have led me to escalate the row today.

Hi Norm.....I've discovered that 'in theory' can't be relied on! I've been in your situation too. Lovely things to look forward to, things going my way, lovely husband no real money worries etc., then all of a sudden I'm as flat as a pancake! I get anxious, miserable, fearful and no reason to be any of these things. Then I feel ungrateful for feeling like I do. There seems no rhyme nor reason for it! The more I analyse it the more confused I get. I think it's a case of 'it just is!' I think you're wise to take a few days off to level out...best not to fan the flames especially when it comes to bosses! Try not to dwell on the dread of going to NY, maybe if you put it out of your mind for a bit you'll cope with things better. I'm sure all this will pass, it usually does with me. The doc upping your medication hopefully will do the trick. Keep posting and letting us know how you're feeling. You aren't alone.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

Suzi (04-07-18)

Hi Norm, well done on talking to your doctor.

That's the thing about depression, you can have everything going for you and yet still feel like hell, it's a case of weathering the storm, I'm sure things will come good again.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

Suzi (04-07-18)

The others are right, give yourself time and space...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Hi norm, I’m so sorry your mood has slipped but you are doing all the right thing - seeing your doctor, taking some time out, reviewing the meds. What’s your plans for the next few days? Will you be doing something nice for you?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Norm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Hi norm, I’m so sorry your mood has slipped but you are doing all the right thing - seeing your doctor, taking some time out, reviewing the meds. What’s your plans for the next few days? Will you be doing something nice for you?
    Spent yesterday relaxing, was exhausted after not sleeping the night before. Today probably much the same really. Tomorrow I have to go to the dentist.

Apart from walking the dog I feel I need to stay in when off sick, always feel like I’m skiving if I go out.

Not at all! You can go out to help your recovery lovely - although I'm hanging around inside as it's cooler than being outside atm!

Hope today is a bit brighter for you.

It's been proven that fresh air, exercise and sun light all produce natural endorphins, which help with depression. Go out as much as you like and tell anyone who asks that it's therapy.