Thread: Hi, new here

CaterpillarGirl

Hi, new here

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, I've been struggling with depression since I was a teen (now in my early 30s) I've tried to get help on and off over the years but mostly got turned away by doctors thinking I was making it up or using it as an excuse, had a counsellor once very briefly but felt like she was judging me, so I've had a hard time trying to get help again but just recently things have got really bad and hard to cope with. I'm a single mum to an 11 year old girl who has started noticing something is wrong to the point she went to the school counsellor and I ended up getting called in to school. Turns out the school were incredibly helpful and put me in touch with a service you can self refer to, I've had a telephone appointment so far which seemed to go OK (although at times it felt as though she didn't really believe me but maybe that's my paranoia from previous attempts at help) and I'm now waiting for an actual appointment. The thing is since my telephone appointment I've started feeling worse and so I thought maybe joining a forum like this could help in the meantime. I apologise for the incredibly long introduction (if anyone has even got this far!) I just felt like maybe it could help to talk to other people who are going through depression as none of my friends really understand (although they do try) and so I find it difficult to confide in them as I feel as though I'm a burden. Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read this

Hi and welcome to DWD. First off, you are not a burden! I’m sure you’d want to be there for your friends and family if they needed you, and I’m equally sure they’d want to be there for you. Take a look at time-to-change.org.uk - it’s a great website that gives ideas on how to talk to your loved ones about this illness.

With talking therapies like counselling, it can take a few attempts to find the right therapist for you- that may be why you’ve struggled previously. Hopefully, the self referral will be the service that works for you. Has your doctor started you on any medication?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Hi and welcome to DWD.
    Have you spoken to your doctor about how you are feeling?
    Are you eating and drinking properly? Getting any exercise?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Hi CaterpillarGirl

Welcome to DWD, having a telephone appointment which went okay is a positive and when you get an actual face to face appointment that should start you on the road to recovery, it isn't going to be easy and everyone is different for some counselling works for others it is medication and some need both. You've made a positive step forward., I think you'll find this a friendly place.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

CaterpillarGirl
    Thanks everybody for being so welcoming, I haven't spoken to my doctor about it because I also suffer from anxiety and this has made it difficult for me make an appointment, especially considering the way this has gone in the past, I go through phases of taking care of myself, at the moment I'm in a bit of a downward spiral, I really want to get out and do some exercise, even just to go for a walk with the dog, but I can't seem to bring myself to get out of the house, thanks for the website about talking to loved ones, I will definitely take a look as the school advised me to talk to my daughter about it so she has a better understanding of what I'm going through but I've been unsure how to bring it up so I'm sure that will be a great help

Oh sweetheart please, please, please try to make that appointment - do you have someone who can go with you?

CaterpillarGirl
    I have friends that have said they will but when it comes to it they've been busy and I don't like to keep asking

How about writing down what’s going on, how you feel, and give that to the doctor - it might help you to start the conversation?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

CaterpillarGirl
    I have been meaning to start writing things down, I even bought a nice new notepad to do it! Hadn't thought about taking it with me to the doctor, that's a good idea

You could just write a bullet point list and hand it over if you are struggling to verbalise what you need to...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

OldMike (18-07-18)