Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive Thought for the Day

You're fighting it and making progress yes there will be setbacks along the way but as you say your mood is less negative than a week ago which is a big plus, I've found from personal experience it is a long hard journey but you'll reach a point when good days outnumber bad ones and the time between bad days increases. There is no magic wand but you're getting there.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

Drew
    I had the house to myself for most of the day and I decided it was going to be a ‘me day’. I’ve been watching the cricket and Tour de France while reading the news and twitter. I’ve eaten when I wanted and what I wanted and my appetite was the better for it.

One of the articles I read was https://themighty.com/2017/06/depres...-wasting-time/ and it struck a chord with me - at times I do feel guilty about being depressed. Luckily I find getting out of bed and distracting myself helps me stop thinking negatively but I can sympathise with the thought ‘Nobody should be made to feel bad about having a mental illness, but I bring this guilt upon myself’. I guess knowing the enemy is a major part of fighting the everyday battle and eventually the war.

I have found out a great deal about myself in the past few weeks. It’s not all good but it’s not all bad either, I t’s work in progress.

It strikes a chord with me too the number of times I've said tomorrow I'll do that or that and when tomorrow comes all I do is stay in bed or sleep on the sofa. Yes knowing the enemy gives you something to fight against.

i think that it's great that you have had a day where you can be in control. I think it's a great thing that you can stop and see the good things - as well as the bad which tend to be the only ones that you can see when things are rough...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Drew
    My mobility was a bit difficult today if I do too much my back and legs get more painful. As I have an appointment with the Independent Living Partnership tomorrow I thought it best to have a quiet day again. Hopefully the partnership will come up with all kinds of tools, aids and advice to help me fend for myself.

Strangely, the dark thoughts I hoped I was beginning to conquer seem to have returned today. I’ll take it as a reminder that it’s a long road to recovery and I can’t expect to beat depression in a few short weeks.

My positive thought for the day is that I’m beginning to make medium/long term plans for my future away from my current home. I’m still not enthusiastic about living by myself but I’m putting effort into finding alternative accommodation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew For This Useful Post:

OldMike (16-07-18)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed my evening out yesterday and that helped me start the day in a fairly positive mood. Nothing of note to report for positives or negatives but that’s fine by me.
    Our moods swing, in all of us, including all those who don’t struggle with depression. So yes, today, the dark thoughts are there but just a couple of days ago this was your post. You’re doing brilliantly
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

You have to remember, you didn't get poorly overnight, so overnight won't fix it either.. You have to be kind and patient..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Drew
    A busier day today and I’m the better for it. The Independent Living Partnership were very helpful and will be helping me with walking aids and advice regarding my housing needs. I felt more positive coming out of our meeting than before I went in. Later I had a drive in the countryside and called to see my parents on the way home. The day goes so much more quickly when you’re busy.

Positive thought for the day - I must try to get out of the house at least once a day.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew For This Useful Post:

OldMike (16-07-18)

Drew looks like you had a very positive day and getting out of the house at least once a day is a good goal.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

That’s a great aim to have, especially with the beautiful weather
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post: