Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive Thought for the Day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drew

Positive Thought for the Day

Following my recent meltdown I’ve challenged myself to come up with at least one positive memory from every day.

It’s been a tough Wednesday for me and I’m still a little too tender to tell the world too much about my problems. One of the worries was that I needed to visit my local hospital eye clinic for a follow up to some laser treament I had for eye damage caused by diabetes. I was very close to deciding to chicken out as because the thought of any bad news about my failing eyesight would add a huge negative to my already full plate. It was also going to be my first day in public since D-Day.

Despite my concerns I’m pleased to report my laser treament had gone well and I did not need any further zapping and for at least another 6 months. My very positive thought from the day.

While writing this I’ve decided to award myself a second positive thought for for plucking up the courage to attend the appointment in the first place and be seen in public (I caught sight of myself in the hall mirror on my way out and I look awful).

Another day along the road to beating depression. I wonder what tomorrow will bring - it won’t be a good start as my first stop is the dentist.

How did your day go?

It's a great idea to be searching for the positives each day. I think you've done brilliantly by going, brilliantly by facing it and even more brilliantly for posting here too. Those are 3 pretty huge positives in my book!

Why do you look awful?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Drew
    Thanks for the support. Having never really talked about my problems I’ve found writing to this forum a release and a means of helping me address my issues. I hope you’ll understand my needs.

I look awful because firstly, in the very long term I have let my physical health deteriorate. I’m obese and have not looked at myself in the mirror for years. More recently, in the past few months things have been coming to a head and I’ve been sleeping poorly, eating badly and have been told I’m not looking too well. I caught sight of myself in the mirror and it was not a pretty sight.

My physical looks and poor health form a major part of my lack of self respect and a realisation that I have wasted a large part of my adult life. I could have done so much more and hurt others less if I’d have sought help years ago.

As well as your positive thought, would you think about a positive action today?. It doesn’t have to be much - if you’re struggling with how your self image, maybe you could do one think today to improve that? Perhaps something as simple as taking a leisurely bath with smellies?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Drew
    Good idea. Baby steps rather than dramatic change.

Absolutely
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Well done, sweetie

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Hindsight is both a wonderful gift, but a terrible curse. Should have/Could have aren't going to help you to be kind to yourself or help you move forward positively. I bet you could stop anyone on the street and ask them if there were things that they could have or should have done differently in their lives and I bet every single one of them would reply yes... No point in using those to beat yourself with - life is tough enough. Be kind to you...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

That sounds a nice and positive day Drew.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OldMike For This Useful Post:

Drew
    Overall it was a bit of a mixture but at least I managed to count a couple of blessings.