Hi,

This is my first post and I’d like to instroduce myself.

My name is Drew and having after 40 years or more I’ve been confronted by my long term depression. I was one of the ‘proud men’ who could not admit to what he thought was mental weakness and decided putting on a brave face and a fake smile was the best way to deal with problems.

For the first time a major life changing event has made me realise I need and have needed help for some time. I have begun the long journey towards self respect and although I’m far from sure I’ll make it but admitting my problems feels like a major step forward.

There is only one bit of advice I can give from my experience - if you are suffering from depression/anxiety don’t pretend it will go away - deal with it by asking for help. If I’d have taken my advice when I was younger I would not be in the frightening place I am now.

Thanks for reading my post. It has been a cathartic experience for me to admit my problems publicly but most of all to myself. I have challenged myself to find or do one positive thing improve my self worth every day - if you’d care to join me it may help us both.