I had an appalling experience this week with a mental health practitioner at our first session. Although it was held at my GP surgery, it is run by a 3rd party. I'm writing to both to complain, but regardless of what happens, the damage has been done.

In short, I was made to feel crap about myself throughout while being ignored and continuously interrupted. To say that she liked the sound of her voice is an understatement. Her approach triggered my anxiety with it getting increasingly worse as my appointment continued. I could not get out of the door fast enough stopping only to tell her I will not be back.

My problem now is that I cannot stop reliving the appointment in my head. It was bad enough dealing with my usual demons but now I have this to deal with too. I go from wanting to cry my eyes out to filled with anger at that woman. I seriously cannot believe anyone would think she was qualified to support with mental health issues.

My friends are doing their best to support, and I'm grateful, but I don't know how to get her out of my head. Plus this mess leaves me in a sticky position with my employer. I've been on long-term sickness because of my current mental health, and they have been supportive because I've been getting professional support - first through an in-house service and now through this service recommended by my GP. If I turn around and say I'm not getting any help, I fear it will look bad on me.

I'm hoping someone can suggest a way for me to overcome what's happened.