Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overcoming a negative event

raininghail

Overcoming a negative event

I had an appalling experience this week with a mental health practitioner at our first session. Although it was held at my GP surgery, it is run by a 3rd party. I'm writing to both to complain, but regardless of what happens, the damage has been done.

In short, I was made to feel crap about myself throughout while being ignored and continuously interrupted. To say that she liked the sound of her voice is an understatement. Her approach triggered my anxiety with it getting increasingly worse as my appointment continued. I could not get out of the door fast enough stopping only to tell her I will not be back.

My problem now is that I cannot stop reliving the appointment in my head. It was bad enough dealing with my usual demons but now I have this to deal with too. I go from wanting to cry my eyes out to filled with anger at that woman. I seriously cannot believe anyone would think she was qualified to support with mental health issues.

My friends are doing their best to support, and I'm grateful, but I don't know how to get her out of my head. Plus this mess leaves me in a sticky position with my employer. I've been on long-term sickness because of my current mental health, and they have been supportive because I've been getting professional support - first through an in-house service and now through this service recommended by my GP. If I turn around and say I'm not getting any help, I fear it will look bad on me.

I'm hoping someone can suggest a way for me to overcome what's happened.

Hi and welcome. I’m so sorry you were made to feel this way. If it were me, I’d get an important with your doctor and/or the third party, tell them exactly what happened and ask that you see another practitioner - whether that’s within that organisation or another. Otherwise, is there any chance of talking to your employer about what happened to see if you can revert to the in house service?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Hi and welcome.
    That sounds like it was far from helpful. Unfortunately, as with anything, there are good and not so good practitioners. I would totally agree with Paula - go and speak to your GP as they signposted you in that direction, and also try to speak to a manager at the third party and see whether you could see someone else....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

raininghail
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Hi and welcome. I’m so sorry you were made to feel this way. If it were me, I’d get an important with your doctor and/or the third party, tell them exactly what happened and ask that you see another practitioner - whether that’s within that organisation or another. Otherwise, is there any chance of talking to your employer about what happened to see if you can revert to the in house service?
    I already had an appointment with my GP booked for this coming week before this happened. I've tried to get it moved up but alas no joy. My plan is to email a copy of a letter I've written about my experience to him this evening. That way when I attend my appointment, ideally he is already aware. Then, we can use my appointment productively and not let it be spent on a rant against that woman while the people outside bemoan that the GP is running late again. I'm also sending a copy of the letter to the 3rd party.

As for the in-house service, I am deemed too complicated for them at the moment. The service is for generally OK people with a short-term issue. I'm hoping that my GP has a solution which will solve this - a recommendation to something else. Thankfully, my meeting with my employer is later in the week so that may be fine.

Until then, if I could stop reliving that appointment in my head like a broken record, that would be great.

I think many of us are familiar with these obsessive negative thought patterns..they are awful. Speaking from a personal perspective, there are a number of ways to try and help. Firstly, try a little physical activity, even if it is a 5 minute walk as this will give the stress you are experiencing somewhere to go. Secondly, get a journal (if you don’t have one already) and write all your feelings down. If possible, try not to push them away in your head, acknowledge them and leave them on the page. In your journal you could write down positive things that have happened today, even if it is the tiniest thing. Also, make a list of little treats you can give yourself in this difficult time. A comfort box is also something to consider, put things in it that make you feel good. Make sure you are eating and drinking enough too. I hope your next appt goes better.
    One day at a time ....😃

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arty For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (10-06-18),magie06 (10-06-18),OldMike (10-06-18),Suzi (10-06-18)

That's a brilliant post Arty!

raininghail
    Thank you guys for your replies. I sent off the emails as planned and already feel better. Not great. But a bit better. I spent most of yesterday with friends which I think the world of good. I'm so grateful for them.

I know tomorrow will be tough because I don't know what will happen with the GP but I'll deal with that then. I'll keep you posted.

Please do.
    I hope it goes well tomorrow.

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Hi and welcome, I hope that the gp can help sort this out for you
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

raininghail
    I went to my GP appointment today. I asked him if he received my letter and after some searching, he found that they did get it but not in time for my appointment. So despite trying to avoid it, I had to go through what happened.

My GP was quite surprised as the service has been getting glowing reviews so he's asked me to get in touch by phone with the 3rd party and see if I can see the other person that visits the surgery. Otherwise, I have to referred to the local mental health service and the wait will be long. I haven't rung them yet. I plan to tomorrow. I'm not thrilled but if it's that or a big wait, I can understand why he's ask me to try again. Meanwhile, he's increasing the dose on my antidepressant.