Thread: Medical use of language.

Medical use of language.

Hey.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

Went to my GP this morning, regarding a possible autism referral (based on many of my life experiences). I was told that, for whatever reason, they can't refer adults from the surgery I go to. My GP then went on to say that a diagnosis would be of limited use, to which I responded that at least I would know. At that point she said "you can assume you have it a bit".

What I'm asking is, what does this mean?! Is it her way of saying that it plays a role but she is unable to diagnose it herself or refer me to someone who can, or is she asking me to make an assumption? Has anyone else had an experience like this, not specifically with autism perhaps but with anything? Im just confused on how to take it and could use some guidance.

Cheers people - thank you in advance.

Techie

It would suggest to me that yes she thinks you have at least autistic traits. It is very difficult for anyone to diagnose adults now. There are options though... http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/adults.aspx should be able to help a bit...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Techie (30-05-18)

Hey, Suzi.

Yeah, Ive had a look on the charity site and I think it comes back to what youre saying, at least in my case - its traits rather than a full blown scenario in my case. Which is a relief in a lot of ways - I wouldnt want all the intervention that comes with it. It was a useful thing to find out though.

It is useful and often it makes lots of other things "fit" or "make sense"

I know that's what my husband said - he was diagnosed at the same time as our son within minutes of meeting the professor.. That appointment was classically Aspergers driven. He arrived to get us from the waiting room 18 minutes late, so was greeted by our son with "well I don't know about Mum and Dad, but I thought my appointment was 18 minutes ago.." Obviously I died of embarrassment and apologised to which I heard him say "Quite right Mr S, quite right. But as you are here and I am here and they are here, shall we give this ago as I'd love to meet you properly"... He was awesome!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Techie (01-06-18)