Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DWD Book Club?

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    It will be interesting to see why books are chosen too. A lot of the time I read purely because I love the written word; it doesn't matter what genre it is.

Exept 50 Shades... that's where I draw the line!!!
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

My plan with it was that you joined in if you fancy it, no pressure, but fun if you did. I thought we'd do a mix of novels and maybe people could try something they haven't read before!
    Does anyone have any that they would love to share with the group?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Room by Emma Donaghue. Initially, I resisted reading this because I knew it was being made into a film and I thought it was going to be yet another flimsy novel that was only ‘good’ because it was on the silver screen. Anyway, in another book club, it was the first book thrown into the mix.

The book is narrated by Jack, a 5 year old who has been confined to one room with his mother his whole life. Jack believes that this one room is the entire world and that everything else only exists on television.

Despite the narrator being a child, which is always difficult to pull off as a writer, she’s definitely pulled it off. Jack is naive and innocent, struggles to communicate and understand reality, yet I felt that I was living the journey this story takes you on, with him.

It’s brilliant and, I suspect, will become a true classic
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Jaquaia (03-05-18)

YES!!!!! Absolutely awesome book! I couldn't put it down.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

Paula (03-05-18)

Sounds like a good idea for a starting point... Anyone in? I'll have to get a copy from my library

smelly_steph
    this book sounds a good one, something I'd be interested in.

I was going to suggest before I die by jenny downham, about a girl who has cancer trying to forfill her wishes before it's too late

somewhere along the line she falls in love, and that makes things a lot more complicated

the book is narated by her too. first hand account.,.

We can go with that one another week if you fancy?

It’s just occurred to me that some parts of Room could be triggering for some. It’s implied, not overt, as a 5 year old narrates, and it’s not what he says rather what he’s not picking up itms?

Jaq, can you help me narrow down what I’m tryjng to say without spoilers?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

The events that happen while he's confined to the room are hinted at, rather innocently from a childs understanding, but it's obvious what is happening, which i think makes it all the more harrowing.

The description off amazon...
    Jack is five. He lives with his Ma. They live in a single, locked room. They don't have the key.

Jack and Ma are prisoners.

Room by Emma Donoghue is an extraordinarily powerful story of a mother and child kept in isolation, and the desire for, and price of, freedom.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

Paula (05-05-18)

I just wanted to check whether we’ve got any more members who have read Room or plan to, and who’d like to join in on the discussion?

If not, and you’d all like to move on to another book, does anyone have any suggestions on what we could look at next?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Suzi (23-06-18)