Thread: Mental health taken a downturn

map84

Mental health taken a downturn

Hi everyone, it's good to have found this forum.
    I have suffered with anxiety for about 17 years, from my teens. This last couple of years it is much improved since meeting someone, working hard in therapy and using anti depressants(citalopram).

I have had some periods of depression, always secondary to the moderate to severe (social) anxiety, however, things have taken a turn since my cat of 18, nearly 19 years passed away on 12th Feb.
    Thankfully its not notably changed my anxiety, but I'm easily moved to tears, the mention of his name, the thought of him sitting with me on my computer desk, or playing silly games breaks my heart.
    Because of the often severe social anxiety I've spent a lot of time indoors for most of the last two decades; with him, and even though I've had other pets all throughout my life, a very special bond that stood out in life has been broken.

I feel devastated, it's silly, but I feel I've been wronged, that it's an injustice, I feel disbelief, sometimes angry(at the idea I should move on and put it behind me), often heartbroken.
    I'm just hoping here provides me thought processes and techniques that can help because I'm very uncomfortable even after the best part of three months.
    Thanks, Mark

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Hi and welcome. It's not silly at all. You're grieving, he wasn't just your pet, he was family. It's completely ok to not be ok about losing him
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaquaia For This Useful Post:

Hi and welcome. I completely agree, it's far from silly. Grieving is completely natural - be kind to yourself and allow yourself time to grieve properly.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Hi Mark and welcome. I lost one of my cats 10 years ago, she was 17 and had been my friend through some very hard and lonely times. I still miss her and get a lump in my throat whenever I think of her or talk about her. So I understand, and I’m sorry for your loss
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

map84
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Hi Mark and welcome. I lost one of my cats 10 years ago, she was 17 and had been my friend through some very hard and lonely times. I still miss her and get a lump in my throat whenever I think of her or talk about her. So I understand, and I’m sorry for your loss
    Thank you so much for All the replies in this thread, they're so very kind. It's always nice to know other people have had the same experience(not that I'd wish it on anyone).

Paula, your msg especially means a lot, many people out there do not realise how good friends you can be with a cat!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to map84 For This Useful Post:

Paula (04-05-18)

I understand it too. I know that our dogs are very much part of the family and are some of the best to talk to and to get things out of your head..... I am sorry for your loss....
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post: