Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

JanuaryKing

Hi,

I thought I'd introduce myself here as I've had a weird few weeks and feel like I've completely dropped out of circulation as a human being!

I've been unemployed for the last couple of months (and prior to that only had temp work for a few months leading up to Christmas - really I've been out of work for about a year). I've been living off savings (rather than benefits) and watching them constantly diminish (and knowing that they'll take years to get back to where they where) has been pretty depressing (I know, I'm lucky to have had them to fall back on, but still...)

Anyway, I moved to a new city in mid-January to have a fresh start. Things started OK, couple of interviews, flatmates seemed pretty cool. I didn't get any of the jobs I applied for though, and in the last couple of weeks I've found myself feeling more and more isolated. My flatmates still seem like nice people but I've been going out of my way to avoid them - ensuite bathrooms and I've been using the kitchen during the day so I don't tend to have to see them too much. Anyway, it snowed a lot last week and I just didn't leave my room all day Thursday, Friday, Saturday. I've never done that before! At first it was quite interesting, fasting for a day, then two (I still had water). By Sunday I had to leave, but got out of the door as quickly as I could and got a takeaway rather than going into the kitchen to eat any of my food in the fridge or the cupboards (which, incidentally, is probably starting to go off)! I feel like I'm going mad!

I've always been quite a shy/reserved person, but never previously to this extent. I'm curious to see whether anyone else has been through anything similar. How did you overcome it and start facing the world 'normally' again? I feel as though I've dug myself into an insurmountable hole.

Hi and welcome to DWD. Isolating is more common than most people think, and is a lot easier nowadays when we can do most things over the Internet. I haven’t left the house for over a week but I have to say I’ve never fasted. That worries me, hunni, and I really think you need to see your GP to talk about what you’ve told us. If it helps, you can print out your post here and show it to the dr.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Hi and welcome to DWD. Have you been to see your Dr about how you are feeling?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

JanuaryKing
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Hi and welcome to DWD. Isolating is more common than most people think, and is a lot easier nowadays when we can do most things over the Internet. I haven’t left the house for over a week but I have to say I’ve never fasted. That worries me, hunni, and I really think you need to see your GP to talk about what you’ve told us. If it helps, you can print out your post here and show it to the dr.
    Hi Paula,

Thanks for the reply. I've not been to a Doctor, no - I'm a little suspicious of the pharmaceutical approach to be honest. I probably will if I get into a similar situation to the last few days again though, it wasn't good.

Anyway, in addition to a few more job applications I've been out and about a bit today - went to the gym again for the first time in a while (I'd forgotten how good I feel after deadlifting) and have been into kitchen and spoken to one of my flatmates. Feeling better now but will keep an eye out to ensure I don't get so isolated again!

Thanks

Seeing your GP doesn’t mean you have to take medication. It would give you access to talking therapy give advise on how to deal with things or they could signpost to to local support that’s available. Of course meds may be available but not the only option.

I completely agree with Stella, seeing your GP only helps get you the right help - whether that be meds, therapy or something else. Much better to talk to them asap as waiting lists can be fairly lengthy..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to Dwd
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

JanuaryKing
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will make an appointment with a GP, I think, see what they recommend. Hopefully the work situation will improve soon (and the weather pick up) and things will look brighter. Thank you all.

No problems . Will you let us know how it goes with the dr?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

JanuaryKing
    Yes, will do - thanks