Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm new...

I think there’s a lot of difference between being happy and being content. I think being content is a state of mind that we can all achieve, it may take time and a lot of effort but it’s doable.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I don't think that anyone is ever going to be 100% happy all of the time, but I do believe that you can be happy and that you can get through this. It's not easy - not at all, but it can happen.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

PurpleNewt
    I hope so.

I'm in total limbo - I'm just existing at the moment. Wake up, go to work, come home, shower, eat, sleep. Repeat.

Do you have a good support network around you? What do you do for enjoyment/fun?

PurpleNewt
    My best friend is fantastic and is my absolute rock. She is more like a sister to me.

My parents I don't feel I can talk to them. I have a bit of a rocky relationship with my mother. I grew up watching her struggle with depression and in some instances, when I was a teenager and she wanted to control what I did, told me I would 'make her ill again'. That has always stuck with me and I just don't bother talking to her.

I have a brother who I love to bits and get on well with but I don't want to talk to him about this.

I am married, but I moved out a year ago because I really wasn't happy in the relationship. He wants me to come home and try again. I suppose this is where all my uncertainty lies. My brain tells me I don't deserve a man like him.

I have another best friend but he, shall we say, hasn't approved of some of the life choices I made in the last year. I can't be bothered to justify my actions or feelings to someone who acts like my friend but at the end of it all, is totally judgmental.

As for fun - I genuinely don't remember the last time I had any fun. I used to love baking and cooking but now I just can't be bothered to do anything. I've recently got back into reading - its an escape from my own life I suppose.

Have you and your partner had counselling, together or separately?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Your post sounds so sad. I just want to give you a huge hug

Do you want to go back to be with your husband?

PurpleNewt
    I've suggested marriage counselling many times but he always refused. It's how I ended up going on my own.

Thanks - I am sad - I guess everything happens for a reason etc etc but I just struggle at the moment with trying to understand everything. You never think it will happen to you!!

I don't know what I want to do, and I feel so bad about that. He is such a lovely man, but I don't know if I love him the same way any more.

EJ
    Not wanting to get up in the morning can be a symptom of depression. I still have feelings of not wanting to get up but as don’t get the gnawing dread that goes with depression. I try to make getting up for work as stress free as possible by not listening to the news only listening to music and having something nice to shower with. Also having breakfast and spending time just sitting quietly works for me.

I agree with Elizabeth - so much of what you are saying sound like symptoms of depression. It's really important to keep doors of communication open right now...