Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling lost

Jasmine

Feeling lost

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so this is my first post so please tell me if I do or say anything wrong.
    I'm feeling really down and hopeless at the moment. I've been having counselling for about 6 months now to deal with some issues from my past and progress has been extremely slow. In the last few weeks I noticed my therapist has been pushing me a bit more and although it felt uncomfortable it seemed to be helping me progress. However in my latest appointment on Saturday she told me she's leaving and that I will only be able to have a few more appointments. I'm absolutely devastated by it as I feel like I'm only just starting to open up properly and trust her enough to get anywhere and I'll now have to stop. I can't face the thought of speaking to anyone else. I feel like she's abandoning me.

Has anyone here experienced something similar?

Hi jasmine and welcome. I’m so sorry this has happened right when you’re starting to see progress. Did your therapist make any suggestions re what she’d recommend happens next?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Jasmine
    Hi Paula,
    Thanks for replying. She asked me to think of what I would like to achieve over the next few appointments (we have 4 left) and we can then discuss options closer to the time. She also said most people only have access to approximately 6 appointments on the NHS and can usually achieve a fair bit in that time. I've been paying for private appointments so I didn't have to worry about rushing but now I can't help but feel like she's judging me for needing to do this slowly. I'm probably massively overthinking this!

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    She won't be judging you lovely, she'll be used to some people needing to take things slower as she'll appreciate everyone is.different.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Hi Jasmine, don't worry about how long anything takes. It's not a competition or a race and it takes as long as it takes. I was in your shoes recently and I had a crisis. In the middle of it I had to change counsellor and as usual it took me a while to start opening up to someone new.
    See how you get on for the next few appointments and then see what she recommends. It will be difficult at first but you've done it once, so it can happen again. Good luck.

Jasmine
    Thank you both. I'm just not sure I have the strength to go through everything again with someone else. Everytime I think about it I can't seem to hold it together and I just keep crying. I feel pretty pathetic.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    You're not. You're ill, there's a big difference. I understand how hard it can be to start again, I've seen about 9 different counsellors now, but sometimes it's a necessary evil to try and get well. I've found that my latest counsellor has been the best of the lot and has reallt fought my corner
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Jasmine
    Thank you. That's really good to hear that you've found someone else you can trust.

Hi and welcome to DWD. Sweetheart I know how hard it is to swap counsellors, but I promise you that you can do this and you can carry on to getting through your issues with someone new.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Jasmine
    Thank you Suzi. When I first started counselling I never in a million years would have predicted I would react like this.