Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: boyfriends depression breaking my heart SU trigger

I see where you are coming from, but honestly lovely I think you're over reacting to this... Most men aren't that great at explaining things and actually I think what he said when he explained it was really sweet and lovely!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Hereforyou
    You're probably right..

I just feel a little bit like I am at the bottom of the barrel sometimes...

I am trying to give him space and trying to not smother him or be pushy but I feel like it's not helping at all...

Nothing is going to be a quick fix. You have to remember that he didn't get this poorly overnight and it's going to take a while to get better...

Hereforyou
    He got upset when he came home from the gym.. He said how he's been putting on a front because he doesn't want to be the miserable person in the corner.. He doesn't feel like he's getting better and said how he's scared.. I told him that he doesn't need to pretend when he's home but he said how if he doesn't the anger comes back..

I asked him if he wants me to tell him I love him and stuff and he said he does.. He also said that sometimes he does want a cuddle but he doesn't come and get one and he doesn't know why.. I asked him to promise to come and get one but I am not sure if he actually will.. I told him again that I don't want to push him and smother him..

Now I am not sure what I should do.. Should I go back to being how I normally was or should I still try to remain pulled back and closed off..??

He accidently brushed my boob and made a sarcy comment saying sorry.. I asked what that was about and he mentioned how I don't even get undressed in front of him anymore but he doesn't know how he feels about that.. I am not sure why he would mention it though...

Just be yourself. There is no definitive way of being...

If he's really not feeling any better than I would urge him to go back to the Drs. He's given this medication a long time and it should be fully in his system now. I really think he needs to go back with a bullet pointed list and tell the dr exactly how he's feeling etc and ask for them to look at the medication again...

Don’t foorget that the change in dose is going to have an impact. As I’ve said before, you both have to view his recovery from a wider perspective - day to day there are going to be fluctuations but it does sound that he’s heading in the right direction overall. The fact he’s actually able to make an effort is progress in itself
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Hereforyou
    I just don't want to be pushy.. I am scared of making him feel worse..

Well he went to the doctors on Friday just gone and they've changed from the 40mg back down to the 20mg because they said they want to change the antidepressants altogether but they can't do it straight away as he was on such a high dosage so they need to lower it for 2 weeks and then change it after that...

He has another appointment with them next Friday (1st June) where they will apparently give him a different antidepressant then..

They also said that he would get the therapy appointment started within 2 weeks from this Monday...

Is it possible that trying 20mg doesn't work then going to 40mg doesn't work and then back to 20mg works..? I wouldn't have thought that would work at all..?

I personally agree 100% Paula.. I thought it was great that he's able to make an effort and able to cook dinner and even put on a brave face.. And when he laughed he did seem like he genuinely laughed..

Is it possible that he can begin to recover without believing it himself....
    Last edited by Suzi; 24-05-18 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Merging posts. Please try not to double post minutes apart. Thanks!

It's very possible that he is getting better bit by bit, but that he can't see the progress...

Sounds like his GP is being really sensible about him cutting down before switching. It sounds as if they know what they are doing and are fully aware of withdrawal etc...

Hereforyou
    If he can't see the progress will that affect his progress overall..? He keeps saying its all a brave face so is that progress or a coping mechanism..?

Yes I think his GP is being sensible about it.. I am pleased that he seems to be doing the right thing by him.. I just wish my partner would allow this to take time.. Everytime he gets upset he says how and why he isn't better yet and get frustrated with people telling him it will take time...

Just keep telling him that he didn't get this poorly overnight....