Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hey I’m sad

Hi and welcome!
    I too have chronic pain, but your intro could have been written by my husband. I'm so sorry, I know how much it's affected him over the years, but he's just finished a long period of psychotherapy - with a different trust than he's been under before. It's really, really helped him to talk about things. Have you asked your GP for a referral for counselling or is there a charity who accept donations rather than fully paid sessions?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

sallyb
    Hello I’m sorry to hear that your husband has struggled too but great to hear that he has found some help. I rang my work care support team thing today which is for all staff to just have someone to chat to. The person I spoke to understood so much so quickly. She made me imagine my eight year old self and go give her a hug and tell her all the nurturing things she never got told. It was so powerful. And she told me to buy a notebook today and start writing to my eight year old self. Be kind to her and get to know her. It made me feel so good that someone else vocalised my feelings and gave me something practical to do to help heal my soul (as she said) while I figure out how to pay for some counselling.

I hope your chronic pain hasn’t been too bad today

That's a really positive, but totally emotionally exhausting thing to do. I feel for you so much.

Well done for that, I can’t imagine how much that must have taken but you did it
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

What line of work are you in?

sallyb
    I work for local council so fortunate enough that there is a support service for staff. I’ve always been to unconfident to ring before but it was really good to talk. Feel like I have just bottled so much up for years.

You’re a lot braver than me. Glad they were able to help you.

I am so glad you called and got some help. Sweetheart you can get through this. Is there a limit on how many times you can call or how much support you can have?

sallyb
    You can call any time as much as you need Which is great but I know what I really need is face to face long term counselling. I’ve spend all my life putting sticky plasters over things and it’s time to get to the root of the problem. But finances won’t allow.

One of my symptoms of a chaotic childhood is that I try to control and organise everything - so I achieve very well at work and our house is tidy etc but I’m just getting through the list rather than living my life. I’ve been trying to add one things a day into the list of something just for me.

Any ideas?

Marc was told to look at his day to day activity and to work out whether he is doing things for necessity or for fun. He needed to build in more time for him to do things for himself - spending more time doing photography, walking, making his guitars etc It's about balance.
    Do you have any hobbies?
    What things do you like doing for you?