Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

JanuaryKing
    So, went to see my GP earlier this morning. Have been prescribed some mild anti-depressants and referred myself to the local support services. Hopefully this will be beneficial!

Which anti d's have you been prescribed? Well done for going to see your Dr. Were you completely open and honest about how you are feeling?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Good news the first big step to recovery
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Just a heads-up, the antidepressants don't work like paracetamol. They will take a few weeks to work.

JanuaryKing
    Quote Originally Posted by magie06 View Post
    Just a heads-up, the antidepressants don't work like paracetamol. They will take a few weeks to work.
    Yeah, the Doctor said much the same thing (also, that it might make things worse for a week before getting better!)

I've been prescribed Sertraline (50mg). I was pretty honest with the Dr I think.

If you’re struggling at the start, please talk to us here. It does help
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I'm so proud of you! It's so hard to tell them everything.

JanuaryKing
    Thanks everybody!

Let us know how you get on?

JanuaryKing
    So I'm into my 2nd week on Sertraline and finding it a bit up and down so far! For a few days in the first week week 1 I felt really relaxed and like it was making a real improvement (I suspect there may have been an element of placebo effect in this but I'll take it!) I've been feeling quite anxious for the last couple of days though, bit of a 1 step forward, 2 back situation. Also, been struggling quite badly to get to sleep at night (last couple of nights I've eventually drifted off but not till between 3 and 5!!)

I'm persevering as I've read lots about the medication taking a long time to kick in, are these effects consistent with anyone else's experience?

Thanks