Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't know what to do about work (SH)

UncleChip
    I've had some meetings about improving my work performance, but I still doubt I'll be able to manage the workload satisfactorily. The place was half closed today and somehow the list has shot up in length from about 20 items to 30. I'm told there are people I can ask for advice, but I need physical help getting things done.

I've been applying for other jobs and I have an interview on Monday. It'd be great to have a job with a reasonable workload, but I've been laying awake in bed until gone 1am just crying over not seeing some of my colleagues again. I just hope this doesn't manifest itself during the interview or at any point at my new job should I be successfully appointed.

Have you asked for more help and support?
    Leaving your job doesn't mean that you won't see your colleagues again if you want to.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

It does concern me that you’re so upset about not seeing your colleagues every day. Why does this worry you so much?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

UncleChip
    I daren't ask for more help. My boss is terrifying. Originally this wasn't the case, but management changed a few years ago and there's a "one size fits all" attitude where they think having just one technician on each site is enough, regardless of how much equipment there is and how often it breaks down.

If I get the job I went for an interview for, there's a slight chance I'll see some of my former colleagues on the bus in the morning because they're leaving too, but we're not all going to the same place.

But the reason I like my friends so much is because they helped me when I was at my lowest. I was ready to just end everything but they talked me down even though they didn't realise how I was feeling. They come in every day even though they have problems, some of them bigger than mine and it's quite inspiring.

It's reached the point where I'm being told that my only interaction with anyone on site should be through an online helpdesk system. If something breaks it shouldn't be reported to me, but reported online. Then when I see the repair job, that's when I should leave my office. They may as well hire a robot.

Sorry you are hating it so much...

UncleChip
    It's confirmed, three of my friends will be gone in just over 2 months. Most of the group will still be here but I'm running out of ways to look happy.
    I'm glad they're going to somewhere better though. I just wish I could go with them or just anywhere else.

My most recent job interview ended with a rejection and I'm considering going on a training course for about £1,700, but if it's as guaranteed to get me a job at the end as the last training course which promised the same thing, I might as well keep hold of my money.

What things are you applying for? Is your CV good and engaging and up to date? What about your interview technique?

UncleChip
    I'm going for web developer jobs and my CV is up to date. I don't know if it's engaging and I don't know if I'm coming across as confident in interviews. I'm trying, but I'm not sure I know what I'm doing wrong.

Today I have a meeting to decide if I should be pushed before I get the chance to jump, so to speak.

Will be thinking of you today
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

How did it go today?