Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't know what to do about work (SH)

I'm glad they called the crisis team and I'm glad you've been seen by someone in A+E. Have you told your wife what has happened?

Sweetheart, if you need the time off, then you need the time off. If you're really struggling with that then maybe you need longer than a couple of days off...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I'll just say one thing that may sound harsh, but I don't mean it to be. If you were killed in an accident tomorrow they would have someone new in the job on Monday. Take the time that you need. If it was cancer treatment you might not be able to work, what's so different about depression?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

Suzi (06-09-18)

I have to agree wholeheartedly with magie! Sadly regarding work these days, no one is indispensable! Take the time you need to get better. Depression is as much as an illness as anything else. Take the care and services offered to you so you can function properly again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

Suzi (06-09-18)

I absolutely agree with Magie and Flo! You can't carry on as you are. Give yourself time to heal.. What did your wife say?

Quote Originally Posted by magie06 View Post
    I'll just say one thing that may sound harsh, but I don't mean it to be. If you were killed in an accident tomorrow they would have someone new in the job on Monday. Take the time that you need. If it was cancer treatment you might not be able to work, what's so different about depression?
    Couldn’t agree more. Please make sure that you rest over the next few days, and try not to worry about work - you can’t do anything about it and all the worrying does is hurt you more
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

UncleChip
    Sorry, I guess I left that detail out. Work phoned my wife after I told them where she worked and somebody involved in health and safety drove me to my wife's workplace, then took us both to A&E, so my wife was there the whole time, pretty much.

She's asked me to promise not to harm myself and says that if they sack me they'll be doing me a favour.

This morning a feel very light headed and like I have to really concentrate on moving if I want to go anywhere or do anything. I've not had any medicines outside the usual and I've had no alcohol recently, so I doubt it's a hangover.
    I'll see how I feel on Sunday before deciding if I should have more time off beyond that.

It sounds like she's being really supportive which is so important.
    2 days + a weekend isn't enough if you've been as bad as you are feeling.....

Mental and emotional strain does have a heavy impact on physical health so I’m not surprised you’re feeling rough. Please just rest
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

UncleChip
    A meeting at work has been planned tomorrow and my wife has been invited. I don't know why, but I'll not question the decision to involve her.

It's been suggested that I put together a list of things which have upset me in recent years, but when I think about it, many of the items on my list seem trivial by most people's standards.

But the main issue is that I'm largely doing a job which was done by 4 people when I started. Everything else that's hurt me is the gradual elimination of my preferred coping strategies, until I've reached the state I'm in now.

It does sound different that your wife has been invited - were you consulted about it?
    It doesn't matter if you think that others will think things which have upset you are trivial or not, if they are affecting you then they are important...