Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't know what to do about work (SH)

Might be an idea... At least talk it over with your Dr?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

UncleChip
    I've got an appointment booked later this month.

How are your moods? More stable?

When are your family back from Blackpool?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

UncleChip
    They came back on Sunday afternoon, so we're all together again.

Back at work today and everyone's back from their summer breaks. I think we gear down during the school summer holidays, because it got really busy today.
    People even logged requests after my shift, but since I'm the only technician I'll have to be selfish and leave them waiting until I go back in tomorrow morning.

I cried a bit in my office, but didn't resort to any self harm or screaming. My big meeting has been rescheduled to Wednesday though, so that'll get me down.

Why did you cry? Is your rep coming with you on Wednesday?

UncleChip
    She's coming, but the meeting as it was planned has been cancelled because there's someone important who can't make it.
    HR will be meeting with me instead to see how I'm doing emotionally.

I cried because the friends who had gone weren't there. Which should be obvious, but coupled with the increased workload over the last 2 days I'm starting to cave in.

I hope it goes ok tomorrow
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

If it's affected you that much then you really do need to talk to your Dr again...

UncleChip
    Sorry, when I said "Which should be obvious", I was referring to the redundant words in the previous sentence. I'm sorry if I came across as rude.

Today I thought the meeting was cancelled due to more people not being available, but another representative from HR was present, so we had a discussion about how I'm feeling.

Strange thing is, minutes before the meeting was due to start, another 20 jobs came in on the electronic fault log in the space of a few minutes and I cracked; I only saw the first 10 or so before the meeting and while shouting obscenities at the monitor I decided to leave my office and head down for the meeting.

We talked about how I felt anxious about my workload and that I was ready to handle the workload as it was this morning, but then when several jobs came in at once from the same person I was ready to self harm again, even though I had removed all but the bare minimum of medicines from my work bag.
    They felt that I was in no state to continue working and called the crisis team on my behalf, who suggested I go to A&E.
    Before I left work, I saw the rest of the jobs, which had effectively tripled my workload in the space of a few minutes, but since I was leaving the premises I thought there'd be no need to think about it for the time being.

At A&E they asked about my sinuses, then realised they were looking at the wrong notes and I had to wait another half an hour for them to get the right paperwork. We talked considerably longer than that when they were ready and they've recommended that I find alternative work - a conclusion I am already working on - but they reassured me that if the other technicians in other branches are being treated for anxiety and / or depression, it's being caused by poor management rather than being a problem originating from me.

Work aren't expecting me in for the rest of the week, but I can't shake the feeling that when I go back on Monday there'll be a huge list for me to wade through, since the last time I had time off for anxiety I came back to a slightly longer list even though someone had been covering for me.

I'll admit, there have been times when the list has been in excess of 30 job long, but I've not known it to grow this fast. What happens if it continues?