Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't know what to do about work (SH)

Maybe it's something to do with the way that you are organising the washing up? Do you do them all in one go or keep being distracted by something else? How did the Dr go?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

UncleChip
    There's no one here at lunch time; everyone's either at work or school, unless it's the weekend.
    I think some of why I take so long is from my inability to concentrate on the task at hand.

My GP has recommended that I take 2 weeks off and has prescribed me some propranolol tablets, which I understand are in a different family of medicines from the sertraline I was on before. I'll see what happens with them.

Work just got out of control today. 3 hours trying and failing to get an appliance working, then replacing it with a spare which won't work with the equipment around it without replacing a certain cable. Now this cable is exposed because I can't open the trunking in the wall (I have neither the tools nor the training), but it's been positioned quite neatly along the top of the trunking and is neither a tripping nor strangulation hazard.
    The room is in working order, but one person (who isn't based in that room) has taken exception to this and insists that the original cable be used. A cable which I believe is faulty. A more experienced engineer than I has looked at it and he agrees that the cable is faulty.
    But because this one man won't accept that, my manager wants it repaired.

Additionally, my manager has recommended that I refuse to do any work which has not been electronically registered. Emails have gone out requesting that all faults and service requests are logged on the system before I'm contacted, but there are people who still ask me to do things without logging them.
    I've been saying I'll do the work on the condition that the requests are logged, but 9 times out of 10 I end up logging them myself.
    So my manager wants me to refuse. This WILL cause complaints, especially if I refuse a requests from anyone in management. And I'm compelled to treat everyone equally or be accused of favouritism or brown nosing.

So I don't know weather I should obey my manager and let my colleagues down, which will result in me failing my competency procedure, or disobey my manager to avoid complaints and end up failing because I didn't follow instructions.

Obey your manager. If there’s a system and they’re failing to adhere to that, then they’re failing, not you. And, actually, it’s not fair on you to be expected to carry out Work that’s not been officially requested or be expected to log it yourself. These systems are in place to enable you to do your job efficiently, they shouldn’t be sidestepped

Propranolol is a beta blocker and are used for many things including to ease the physical symptoms of anxiety
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Definitely obey your manager!

UncleChip
    I've gone in to work today, explained everything to my union rep and after consulting several other people I've been sent home to rest for 2 weeks.
    Hopefully this time they'll get someone in to cover for me so I don't have 2 weeks of work to catch up on as well as my usual workload.

So I've gotten a head start done on the washing up and hung the clothes out to dry. Then I logged on here and wrote this message. I know I should be resting, but my wife might call me lazy if I've been home most of the day and not done anything.

But you've been sent home to rest? Surely she will understand?

The whole point of convalescence is that you convalesce. By all means, if you’re up to pottering round the house then go for it but never feel guilty for being unable to do things because you’re ill
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Regarding the refusal to do anythng that isnt properly logged as you have been advised this by your manager ask him or her to email this to you so you have a record, then when you refuse there can be no issues
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

Pottering around doing bits here and there is a good thing, but as the others have said don't be made to feel guilty for being poorly.

Pottering about is good, it keeps you occupied rather than just sitting in front of the TV.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"