Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't know what to do about work (SH)

UncleChip
    The hour or two spent in the hotel room each night have been relaxing, as we've split the family across 2 hotel rooms. As a result of this I only have my son to look after instead of all three of my children.

We're back home now, so the process of catching up with a ton of things can begin.

On a side note, I've decided to try to face my anxiety over the dentist. After a panic attack during a check up a few years ago, I haven't been back, but my teeth are starting to fall apart and are hurting quite severely.
    I thought I'd booked the appointment for Wednesday, but I've had a text from the dentist to say it's the following day, so I may need to re-book the time off from work.

Do you enjoy spending time with your family?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

UncleChip
    I did. We did all sorts of things together, like a coastal boat trip, digging holes on the beach and crab lining to name a few. But it was very hard work.

Sometimes I feel like I just need a day away from everyone, but then I'd be shirking my responsibilities and people would call me a bad parent.

I've never heard of crab lining. What is it?

Sounds like you had a good time

Tony, everybody needs space away from family sometimes and I promise you that no one would think you’re shirking your responsibilities by needing a break from your kids.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Sounds like a good time!

UncleChip
    Crab lining involves dropping a weighted bait bag into the water and keeping an eye on it until it starts moving. Sometimes the bait bag can be inside a net, but either way, the bait is on the end of a string, no rod involved.
    When you think you have a crab biting, pull it up.

With them being sea crabs, it's good to have a big bucket of sea water (tap water will kill them) next to you to put the crabs in while you put the bait back into the water. I'm sure I caught the biggest one, big enough to eat if I'd known how to cook them, but it let go of the bag as soon as I pulled it out of the water.
    It was about this big.

We used to do that with bones from the butcher, when we were kids. We would stand on a narrow pier, with no fear, tie a bone to a piece of string and lower it into the water. Great fun, free entertainment and no WiFi needed! We always released them when we were finished.

UncleChip
    We used bacon, but I'll see if next time we can get some cooked chicken legs, eat them and then use the bones. It might be more hygienic.

cubed ham works well We used to do it too!