Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't know what to do about work (SH)

UncleChip
    It's funny - I kept having an argument with my wife over which pedal was the accelerator and which was the clutch. She'd say the accelerator is on the left, but I said I'm not sure; the brake is definitely in the middle, but the accelerator might be on either side, I just couldn't remember from my lessons.

Then we checked the owner's manual for the car (the previous owner has parked it in my garden) and the accelerator is apparently on the right.

I'll probably just use it for getting to work and back each day until I get confident with it; it's less than 2 miles each way.

The first lesson I was given was to remember ABC. Starting from the drivers door, accelerator, break an clutch. It's something that is easy to remember and I've never forgotten.

UncleChip
    I remember having a similar lesson, but after 14 years I couldn't remember if ABC started from the midline of the car or from the door.

It'll all come back to you...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

It’s like riding a bike
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

UncleChip
    Today's the big day. Got the meeting this afternoon to decide if I've been a good boy or not, and by extension, if my employment here will continue before I can find another job.

I love most of my colleagues and customers. They make my life bearable in the face of what management tell me.
    You can't please everyone, but if you can't please the men at the top, you're out.
    I suppose if I worked to please management, that would annoy everyone else, then management would get a ton of complaints about me and I'd be out anyway.

I'm not going to win today. If I'm lucky I'll get 4 week's notice. Hopefully that'll be enough time for me to tie up all the loose ends here before I'm booted out.

CaterpillarGirl
    Good luck today, I hope things go well for you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CaterpillarGirl For This Useful Post:

Thinking of you
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

Hope you get sorted lovely...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

UncleChip
    Well, they found out about the overdose from a colleague I confided in, so they decided not to discuss the outcome of the capability procedure and instead sought guidance from a health care professional over weather I should be working unsupervised for the next 2 days.
    I'm off for a week after that, and the professional said I've been working unsupervised since the overdose and not repeated it, so she doubts I'll do it again in that time.

From Friday I'll be off work for a week, and after that everyone should be back from their summer breaks, so they're confident I should have enough support at work from then on. But the OD occurred before anyone went on holiday and nobody noticed at the time, so I'm not sure what the logic is there.

Still, another person in my role at another branch came to visit last week to lend a hand for an afternoon and commented that many of us in other branches are being treated for anxiety and depression, so we think there must be a pattern.