Thread: What to say to children to explain...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What to say to children to explain...

This subject comes up a lot, so I thought I'd do a new thread with it on.

What things can you say to children to explain how things are for you. I've added a couple of things that we've used with our children as they have been growing up and they have helped us. Please add your own things.

Always remind them that you love them.

Tell them the story of the little bag of worries - you are worried about something so you put it in your worry bag, then you worry about something else so you add that in there too, and more, and more, and more. Then you start worrying about the worries in your worry bag, and more and more and more and soon it becomes so big and full that you can't move it on your own anymore and that's kind of where you are now. You are now so worried about everything that you can't deal with it on your own and it's making you feel really poorly. But you're getting help so you can start taking the worries out now and although it's going to take time, you will get there.

Or you can tell them that it's like holding a glass of water with your arm outstretched in front of you. You can stand and hold it there for a while, but after time it gets so heavy and difficult to hold that actually you struggle to hold it... It's the same as all those worries (we call them evil weevils) that go round and round in your head. The same ones that tell you that you're no good at maths, or that you haven't got friends or anyone to play with that just keep going round and round and you eventually need to get them all out. You can only do that with the help of doctors and other specially trained people. It's exhausting and really difficult, but that you're trying.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

OldMike (21-04-18)