Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generosity

UncleChip

Generosity

I don't know why, but whenever I'm generous bad things seem to happen, either to myself or to the person receiving my aid.

It happened again today; after my job interview (which went quite well, but no decision yet) I decided to pick up a fish sandwich. I was feeling happier than usual and the sandwiches were quite cheap, so I bought 2 in an attempt to reward myself.

Outside I noticed a homeless person, and after taking a minute to reconsider my initial decision to just walk past and eat everything on the train, I walked back and gave her one of the sandwiches, which she seemed to be quite greatful for.
    Moments after I left, I heard a man shouting about a sandwich - when I turned to look back, what appeared to be an angry homeless man was running towards her.
    Like the coward I am, I turned back to face where I was going and left them to it.

If I hadn't done anything, I'd have the guilt of not sharing when I had more than enough to spare.
    Now I have the guilt of making someone angry with someone else and possibly causing a fight. I hope she's OK.

smelly_steph
    I wish you well with the job decision- what sort of job is it?

you did a good thing giving up your sandwich. their needs to be more people like you in the world (genirosity is so hard to find)

one question

fish?. in a sandwich?

really?

Yep Steph it could be tuna, salmon, sardine, mackerel or even fish fingers

You did a good thing there Tony giving a sandwich to that woman, you can't be held responsible for others action and as for not intervening in the dispute over the sandwich it was probably a wise decision, best not to put yourself in danger.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

You did a kind thing. It isn't your fault if someone else reacted negatively.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

UncleChip
    It was a fish finger, lettuce and tare tare sauce sandwich. Not sure if I spelled tare tare correctly, but it doesn't flag up a spelling mistake so it might be right.

The job was for a web programmer with a leaflet / cardboard display printing company. I seemed to do quite well, and they were interested in some skills I have which weren't on the original job spec. So I think I have a decent chance.

Good luck.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

smelly_steph
    well mike..... I guess if it works for some people!

I can't imagine eating a fish sandwich- the thought almost freaks me out.

Here we put anything and everything into sandwiches. A favourite here is a crisp sandwich. The most popular brand of crisp here is Tayto, so a Tayto sandwich is a norm for a lot of people. Otherwise, fish fingers would be another norm, a burger with curry sauce over the meat part is another strange one I saw.

Chip butty, with butter. Nothing like it
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

S deleted (26-04-18)

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    Mmmmm....chip butty. Fancy a fish finger and ketchup sarnie now too. Or ready salted crisps and salad cream.
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro