Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not coping with life

Pheeny-jo

Not coping with life

Hi all, I'm new here. I don't know where to begin, I just need to get this out right now.

My current situation is that I get up in the middle of the day, maybe waste some time online and then around 7pm start drinking and carry on until I go to bed around 3 or 4am. I feel so useless, I'm absolutely sick of my "life" but I feel like I haven't got the strength to change it. I honestly wish I'd never been born sometimes.

Hi and welcome to DWD.

Sweetheart have you spoken to a Dr about how you are feeling? How much alcohol are you drinking each day?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Pheeny-jo
    I haven't been to the doctors in a long time because if you're lucky enough to get an appointment at all, you never see the same one twice and having to go over this stuff with an overworked, disinterested nhs doctor is kind of soul destroying to be honest. I did get my meds changed (over the phone!) to 40mg a day a few months back and for a while it seemed to be helping but now I feel like I'm sinking again.

I don't keep track of the drinking but I know it's far too much, I end up buying a litre of gin every 2-3 days and if I can get my hands on anything else I'll have that too. I hate myself for it.

TiffanyyO
    So sorry your dealing with this hun! I am in the same boat with the drinking, I get that part totally. you have come to the right place to get some support and any help you may need can I ask how old you are? how long have you been drinking the way you have been lately? if you don't mind me asking.

Pheeny-jo
    I'm 29 nearly 30. I've been drinking since I was 15 to cope with my anxiety but it's got to the stage now where it doesn't really do anything so I have to have more and more. I'm terrified of what it's doing to my health but I feel like I need it just to feel "normal".

Hi and welcome. There are other, and better, ways to deal with anxiety. I know it’s hard but you really need to see your GP - first to get support to help with phasing out and then stopping drinking (if you’re ready to do that) and also to see if here’s any additional medication or support to help with your anxiety. It’s going to be a tough journey, love, but we will be here every step of the way for you
    Last edited by Paula; 09-02-18 at 04:48 PM.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    The problem is alcohol is a depressant so will be having the opposite effects to your meds. None of us can tell you what to do, but we can offer as much support as we possibly can
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

Please, please, please go and see your GP - print out what you've written here too so you can just hand that over if you need to... I'll save my "alcohol is bad because...." lecture, but alcohol is not the answer lovely - oh and there is no "normal"
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Pheeny-jo
    Thanks everyone, I have an appointment with the health advisor on the work programme I'm on next week so I'll see how that goes.

That sounds like a good starting point
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.