Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me....

Tell me....

Your favourite book?
    What's it about?
    How old were you when you discovered it?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Pride and Prejudice - and I do mean the book, not all the adaptations. Jane Austen was a genius at satire and biting irony - she critiqued landed gentry while still being very funny and making sure her novels were a good read. Most of all, for me, was the fact that, in the 18th century when women were second class citizens, she was the ‘original’ feminist - all her novels had strong female leads and the men were almost secondary to the stories.

Austen died in 1817 at 41 from Addison’s Disease (a condition of the adrenal glands which is now treatable) and I think it’s testament to how good she really was that her stories are still known worldwide 200 years later.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

We studied Sense and Sensibility for A level - loved it. I've read all of hers.

I love so many books - Douglas Adams Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy a Trilogy in five parts is way up there with my favs, Obviously Harry Potter and I loved the Twilight series.
    Last edited by Suzi; 08-02-18 at 05:33 PM.

I like Stephen King, IT and Pet Cemetary are probably my favourites. Oh and the Women’s Murder Club series by James Patterson. Michael Jackson’s Moonwalk was obviously something I enjoyed, Trina Gulliver’s Golden Girl, and John Lowe’s Old Stoneface were good reads too.

Librarian and chief holder of antiquities and biscuits Jaquaia's Avatar
    I can't name just one, it's like trying to choose a favourite child!

I love The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. Her world building is incredible, her characters are relatable and it has a strong female lead. Her writing just draws me in. The same with the prequel, The Magician's Apprentice, and the sequel Traitor Spy trilogy. All feature strong female characters. I have every book she's published, absolutely love her work.

I love the Harry Potter series, Chronicles of Narnia, Pride and Prejudice, most Stephen King I've read, Maria V. Snyders 'Chronicles of Ixia', Room by Emma Donaghue, Wuthering Heights, Rachel Caines 'Morganville Vampires' series, the Southern Vamipre Mysteries by Charlaine Harris, Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy and The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams. I love Me Before You and The Girl You Left Behind by JoJo Moyes, Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal by Thomas Harris, the Creepy Hollow series by Rachel Morgan and 'Bigger than Hitler, Better than Christ' (actual title!) by The Rik Mayall (actually how his name is printed!)

I could go all day on this subject!
    Tên përdu, jhamâi së rëcôbro

I love morganville! I don’t know anyone else who’s read them

I’m also a huge fan of Jean M Auel ‘s Earths Children series - about prehistoric humans, their environment and their lives. Her research was so extensive that she became a renowned expert in the field. Her books were so detailed that it took her over 30 years to write the 6 novels in the series.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I really enjoyed her Weather Wardens series too!

Marc's Mum's a huge fan of the Clan of the Cavebear series...

I loved the Magicians Apprentice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaquaia View Post
    I really enjoyed her Weather Wardens series too!
    Not as good as morganville, imho

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Not as good as morganville, imho
    Definitely not! Impressive that her story was strong enough to last over so many books too.
    Last edited by Jaquaia; 08-02-18 at 08:59 PM.